Latent Heat Q: How to Lower Temp of 125 g Water to 12°C

In summary, to lower the temperature of 125 g of water from 23 degrees to 12 degrees, 15 g of ice must be added. This can be calculated by finding the energy needed to lower the temperature of the water and then using the latent heat of ice to determine the mass of ice needed. However, this calculation assumes that the ice will completely melt and mix with the water, so it may not be entirely accurate.
veronicak5678

Homework Statement

A well insulated cup contains 125 g of water at 23 degrees. How many grams of ice must be added to lower temp to 12?

Homework Equations

Q = c*m*delta t

The Attempt at a Solution

energy needed to lower temp:
Q = 4190 J / kg * (-11 degrees) * (.125 kg) = -5760 J

Q from ice = - Q from water = 5760 J

to find mass of ice needed:

5760 J = Latent heat of ice * mass needed = (3.34 * 10^5 J / kg) * m

= .0172 kg = 17.2 g

The correct answer is 15 g. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi veronicak5678! :smile:
veronicak5678 said:
A well insulated cup contains 125 g of water at 23 degrees. How many grams of ice must be added to lower temp to 12?

The correct answer is 15 g. What am I doing wrong?

hmm … you didn't stir! :wink:

I'm sorry, but I don't follow...
Should I be using something other than latent heat?

yes … the ice will become water, and mix with the water already there :smile:

Q: What is latent heat?

Latent heat is the amount of energy required to change the phase of a substance without changing its temperature.

Q: What is the specific heat of water?

The specific heat of water is 4.18 Joules/gram °C. This means that it takes 4.18 Joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius.

Q: How much energy is needed to lower the temperature of 125 g of water from 25°C to 12°C?

The amount of energy needed can be calculated using the specific heat of water and the change in temperature. In this case, it would be (125 g)(4.18 J/g °C)(25°C - 12°C) = 1,987.5 Joules.

Q: How does the latent heat of water affect temperature change?

When water is changing from one phase to another (e.g. liquid to solid), the latent heat is absorbed or released and does not contribute to a change in temperature. This is why water can stay at 0°C while it freezes into ice.

Q: How can I lower the temperature of water to a specific temperature, like 12°C?

You can use a thermometer to monitor the temperature and add or remove heat until it reaches the desired temperature. Alternatively, you can use an ice bath or cold water bath to cool the water down to the desired temperature.