1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Latent Heat Question

1. Apr 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A scientist heats up a substance by applying heat at a constant rate of 75 J/s. She measures that
    it takes 1 minute for 100 grams of the substance to evaporate. What is the latent of vaporization
    of this substance? If she starts with 1 kg of the substance, how long will it take for it to
    evaporate and how much energy will it take to evaporate the substance?

2. Relevant equations

Q=mL?

3. The attempt at a solution[/b

I'm not really sure how to use Q=mL. Does 75 J/s go into Q or is Q the total amount of joules. I know m is the mass and L is the specific latent heat.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2014 #2

adjacent

Gold Member

I will use the formula ##E=mL_v## for easiness.
    J/s is the unit of power so if you know the power and the time,you should be able to find the energy supplied.
    Use##E=mL_v## to find the ##L_v##.

4. Apr 23, 2014 #3
    So, 75 x 60 is equal 4500. 4500= (.1kg)(L) -> L=45000. If it takes 1 minute to vaporize 100g it should take 10 minutes for a kg and 45000 J?

5. Apr 23, 2014 #4

adjacent

Gold Member

Correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted