Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Lateral acceleration

1. Oct 17, 2004 #1
    The cornering performance of an automobile is evaluated on a skid pad, where the maximum speed that a car can maintain around a circular path on a dry, flat surface is measured. Then the centripetal acceleration, also called the lateral acceleration, is calculated as a multiple of the free-fall acceleration g. The main factors affecting the performance are the tire characteristics and the suspension system of the car. A Dodge Viper GTS can negotiate a skidpad of radius 62.2 m at 86.5 km/h. Calculate its maximum lateral acceleration.

How do I find lateral acceleration??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2004 #2
    anyone know?

4. Oct 17, 2004 #3
    I tried using the equation for centripetal acceleration but the answer was not correct.

5. Oct 17, 2004 #4
    Let's see your calculations first before entirely discarding centripetal acceleration

6. Oct 17, 2004 #5
    nevermind, i got the answer by converting km/h to m/h. But theres one question that is really stumping me right now:

3. [PSE6 6.P.011.] A 3.85 kg object is attached to a vertical rod by two strings as in Figure P6.11. The object rotates in a horizontal circle at constant speed 7.30 m/s.

Figure P6.11

(a) Find the tension in the upper string.
    N
    (b) Find the tension in the lower string.
    N

Not sure just what to do for this one, I tried a few equations given in examples by pluging in numbers, but didn't work.

7. Oct 17, 2004 #6
    I figured the units conversion was messing you up. Where are the strings attached to the rod? We can't give a definitive solution otherwise. Are they attached at the top and bottom so it swings in a path that's in the center of where the two strings are attached?

8. Oct 17, 2004 #7
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook