1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lateral acceleration

1. Oct 17, 2004 #1
    The cornering performance of an automobile is evaluated on a skid pad, where the maximum speed that a car can maintain around a circular path on a dry, flat surface is measured. Then the centripetal acceleration, also called the lateral acceleration, is calculated as a multiple of the free-fall acceleration g. The main factors affecting the performance are the tire characteristics and the suspension system of the car. A Dodge Viper GTS can negotiate a skidpad of radius 62.2 m at 86.5 km/h. Calculate its maximum lateral acceleration.

How do I find lateral acceleration??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2004 #2
    anyone know?

4. Oct 17, 2004 #3
    I tried using the equation for centripetal acceleration but the answer was not correct.

5. Oct 17, 2004 #4
    Let's see your calculations first before entirely discarding centripetal acceleration

6. Oct 17, 2004 #5
    nevermind, i got the answer by converting km/h to m/h. But theres one question that is really stumping me right now:

3. [PSE6 6.P.011.] A 3.85 kg object is attached to a vertical rod by two strings as in Figure P6.11. The object rotates in a horizontal circle at constant speed 7.30 m/s.

Figure P6.11

(a) Find the tension in the upper string.
    N
    (b) Find the tension in the lower string.
    N

Not sure just what to do for this one, I tried a few equations given in examples by pluging in numbers, but didn't work.

7. Oct 17, 2004 #6
    I figured the units conversion was messing you up. Where are the strings attached to the rod? We can't give a definitive solution otherwise. Are they attached at the top and bottom so it swings in a path that's in the center of where the two strings are attached?

8. Oct 17, 2004 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?