Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Lateral Magnification

1. Aug 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If lateral magnification is negative what does that mean?

2. Relevant equations

m = -di/do

3. The attempt at a solution

From what I understand that focal distance for converging devices (concave mirrors and convex lens) is always positive. So this would make m="-" since di= "+". Also that a negative lateral magnification would mean less power. My question are:

1) Is the above correct?

2) If the object was within the focal point the image would be virtual and upright, what would happen to power then?

3) If I increase the focal distance would that mean I would decrease the power of the lens or mirror based on this formula: P=1/f?

4) Based on this formula: P=1/f = 1/di + 1/do, the farther the object is from the lens or mirror the greater power is?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

For a single lens or mirror: When [itex]d_i[/itex] is positive, then [itex]m[/itex] would be negative; but [itex]d_i[/itex] can be negative, in which case [itex]m[/itex] would turn out to be a positive number.

If you have a system of lenses or mirrors, then [itex]d_o[/itex] can also be negative.

The power of a lens is a property of that lens; it's the inverse of the focal length (having units of diopters when focal length is in meters). So the power of a particular lens is a constant.

Just to repeat, the power would be the same.

However, go ahead and try out this case. Set [itex]f=10[/itex] and [itex]d_o[/itex] be anything less than 10, for example. Solve for [itex]d_i[/itex], and then [itex]m[/itex]. What is the sign of [itex]m[/itex]?

Do the same for [itex]f=10[/itex] and do be anything greater than 10, and find the sign of [itex]m[/itex].

So what does the sign of [itex]m[/itex] mean?

Okay, but to change the focal length you have to change the radius of curvature of the sides of the lenses; so effectively you have a different lens altogether.

Do you now see why this is not true?

4. Aug 10, 2008 #3
    Thanks alphysicist. I see what you are saying.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook