Are Earthquake Lights Real or Just Power Arcs?

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
In summary, three large earthquakes have occurred in the west coast regions of the Americas within the past 24 hours. The first event occurred off the coast of Chile at a magnitude of 6.4, the second event occurred in the Napa Valley area of California at a magnitude of 6.0, and the third and largest event occurred in central Peru at a magnitude of 6.9.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
hi gang

3 x M6+ events within 24 hrs down the west coast regions of the Americas
as recorded on my system here in Australia

attachment.php?attachmentid=72441&stc=1&d=1409005040.gif

firstly from top to bottom
a M 6.4, coastal central Chile
then the M 6.0, Napa Valley area California, USA
then a M 6.9, within the Andes Mountains of central Peru

The last one, altho the largest was relatively small in amplitude because of its
101 km depth - this results in a lack of significant surface waves

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• 140823-24  UT  M 6.4 Chile, 6.1 California, 5.4 SSI, 6.9 Peru zhi.gif
    140823-24 UT M 6.4 Chile, 6.1 California, 5.4 SSI, 6.9 Peru zhi.gif
    138.4 KB · Views: 752
Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
The Napa quake just missed me by about 30 miles. No deaths, but several hundred injuries and lots of broken water and gas distribution pipes. Good local response by EMS, Fire, PD, and other emergency agencies. :smile:

wow Mike
that's a little too close for comfort

I haven't been up through the Napa Valley area since 2006

Dave

From 96.5 KOIT San Francisco news station. Now that's creative! :smile:

Attachments

• Napa Earthquake Skateboard KOIT San Francisco.jpg
    Napa Earthquake Skateboard KOIT San Francisco.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 582
indeed :)
making the best of a bad situation

D

Hi Dave!

Re: your graphs
1. Is the first one at ~2320 UTC on 24 August the one recorded off Valparaiso, Chile?
2. Did you receive and record anything on 17 August from Southwestern Iran?
3. Do you know of any theory connecting lunar tidal forces with earthquake activity?

Cheers, Bobbywhy
p.s. Congratulations! Love your real data!

hi Bobbywhy

1) a bit NNE of Valparaiso ~ 50km and inland from the coast ~ 10km or so

2) The M 6.2, Yes I did but pretty low amplitude

3) Yes, there's a few theories floating around. Some with good scientific grounding others fall into the woowoo science realm haha

my online real time seismo's

Thanks
Dave

Most likely just power line arcs. They can cascade for a pretty good light show in the right conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYCHBI66izs

This one was lightning induced.

Last edited:
nsaspook said:
Most likely just power line arcs. They can cascade for a pretty good light show in the right conditions...

Yup would have to agree with that comment

in that other link, the press report was pretty unscientific

Dave

I'm not saying the possibility of earthquake generated lights is a myth

I'm saying that with the way that was reported in that article without any scientific investigation
NSASPOOK's explanation is substantially more likely

Dave

I don't think it's a myth but I think most are just power arcs instead of some strange type of geological Earth stress discharge.

Other earthquake lights type events.
Major substation fault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIdjfDdYs9w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y196J86YrRU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMunTcLvSzE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBwXR_It9kw

nsaspook said:
I don't think it's a myth but I think most are just power arcs instead of some strange type of geological Earth stress discharge.

Other earthquake lights type events.

Yup ... still agree with you
and none of those videos shows anything that couldn't be explained by arcing power lines ... transformer explosions etc caused by earthquakes or other electrical faults

cheers
Dave

1. What is the cause of the recent earthquakes in the Americas?

The recent earthquakes in the Americas are primarily caused by tectonic activity. The Americas sit on several major fault lines, such as the San Andreas Fault in California and the Caribbean Plate Boundary, which can result in frequent seismic activity.

2. How often do earthquakes occur in the Americas?

Earthquakes occur in the Americas on a daily basis, although the frequency and intensity can vary greatly depending on location and time period. There are an estimated 10,000 earthquakes in the Americas each year, with the majority being small and undetectable by humans.

3. Are the recent earthquakes in the Americas related to each other?

The recent earthquakes in the Americas are not necessarily related to each other. Earthquakes can occur in clusters, but they can also be completely unrelated. Each earthquake is caused by its own unique fault movement and can have different causes and origins.

4. How do scientists measure and track earthquakes in the Americas?

Scientists use seismographs to measure and track earthquakes in the Americas. These instruments record the vibrations caused by the movement of the Earth's crust and can provide information about the location, magnitude, and depth of an earthquake.

5. Is there a way to predict when and where an earthquake will occur in the Americas?

Currently, there is no reliable way to predict exactly when and where an earthquake will occur in the Americas. However, scientists continue to study seismic activity and work towards improving earthquake forecasting and early warning systems.