Latest UFO pic

• Thread starter hypatia
  • Start date
DaveC426913
Gold Member
What a scam that guy must have earned a few for that.
Point of order: nowhere in that article does it claim that the photographer ever even thought it was a UFO let alone tried to claim it was such.

First rule of selling: when making a claim, make the strongest claim you can. i.e. since the article never suggests he thought it was a UFO, that means he never did, or they would have most certainly used that.

Last edited:
turbo
Gold Member
Point of order: nowhere in that article does it claim that the photographer ever even thought it was a UFO let alone tried to claim it was such.

First rule of selling: when making a claim, make the strongest claim you can. i.e. since the article never suggests he thought it was a UFO, that means he never did, or they would have most certainly used that.
Well, there was this quote:

“When I got home I couldn’t believe what I had. I thought, ‘Wow, where did that come from?’ I’m not the sort to believe in UFOs — now I’m not so sure.”

Then, there was the fact that he posed for a picture with a concerned look on his face with his camera pointed skyward (as opposed to toward the horizon to capture the tankers). If he did not believe that the gull was a UFO, how did his photo come to be in the possession of UFO-fans and get printed in a sensationalist rag?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Well, there was this quote:

“When I got home I couldn’t believe what I had. I thought, ‘Wow, where did that come from?’ I’m not the sort to believe in UFOs — now I’m not so sure.”

Then, there was the fact that he posed for a picture with a concerned look on his face with his camera pointed skyward (as opposed to toward the horizon to capture the tankers). If he did not believe that the gull was a UFO, how did his photo come to be in the possession of UFO-fans and get printed in a sensationalist rag?
This has all been filtered through the paper's writers and editors. They're making a story out of it.

“When I got home I couldn’t believe what I had. I thought, ‘Wow, where did that come from?’
"I’m not the sort to believe in UFOs — now I’m not so sure."
I'll bet those two lines were not spoken contiguously; they've been put together in editing.

The "now I'm not so sure" is the kind of thing they coach him to say in the interview.

"he posed for a picture with a concerned look on his face with his camera pointed skyward"
Who do you think posed him?

I'm sure he became very aware of the spin they were going to put on the article, he'd know they were fishing for quotes, he'd know they were posing him, he might have even known they were going to consult UFOlogists. But he never made any of these claims.

Nor am I suggesting that he ultimately objected to them. I'm simply saying that I doubt he had any hand at all in pushing the UFO angle.

Once you agree to be interviewed, you're not really in control of what happens to the story, except by what you don't say.

DaveC426913
Once you agree to be interviewed, you're not really in control of what happens to the story, except by what you don't say.

Sad but true!

turbo
Gold Member
Sad but true!
Well, my point was that the photographer was gullible/suggestive enough to look at his own photo and "see" a flying saucer and bring it to the attention of a publication, and then to play along when they decided to publish his photo and story. He could have previewed his images and tried to figure out what this blurry bird was, but instead he apparently chose to bring the photo to the attention of the rag paper as a possible UFO photograph. It is not at all remarkable that he didn't notice a UFO when he took the shot - when you are at the sea-shore, gulls are a dime a dozen.

Well I think he just wanted to make a quick buck and sell the photo,
but I doubt they let him prof read the article and give his approval.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Well, my point was that the photographer was gullible/suggestive enough to look at his own photo and "see" a flying saucer and bring it to the attention of a publication...
If I were a betting man, I'd bet that it wasn't him that first starting making a serious claim about it being a UFO, and it wasn't his idea to take it to the paper. But that he did go along with it.

Some of The Sun's other top headlines for today: Twins unwittingly marry each other, Ronaldo's latest TV girlfriend, and some people making love on an airline flight.

^ The news you can't live without.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I agree. We won't be allowing any more links to "The Sun". In fact we have never allowed links to tabloids. I didn't realize that was the deal here.

Hypatia is hereby pithed. :grumpy:

Last edited: