1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Latex Bibliography

1. Apr 1, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Latex Bibliography

Whenever I create a bibliography in latex using

Code (Text):
    \bibliographystyle{plain}

\begin{thebibliography}{1}

\bibitem{Reference 1}Details about Reference 1

\bibitem{Reference 2}Details about Reference 2

\end{thebibliography}
    It puts the title `References' above it. Does anyone know how to make it omit the title?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2008 #2
    72 views and nobody knows how to do it? I figured it was probably somthing simple.

4. Apr 4, 2008 #3

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Presumably the solution is to find a bibliography style file that does not write out "Reference".
    The only other option is to start redefining various parameters, but that is usually extremely messy so it is not something I would recommend.

Latex is only simple as long as you follow the "templates" (sty-files etc), really customizing the appearance of your documents can be quite a daunting task.

5. Apr 4, 2008 #4
    You can just put \renewcommand{\bibname}{} into your preamble, although because that's just renaming the title to be nothing, you get quite a bit of white space above your references which I'm not sure how you could get rid of, although it is a crude way to achieve what you want.

6. Apr 5, 2008 #5
    Thanks, I'll play with that, and maybe some negative vertical space to fix it up.

7. Apr 5, 2008 #6
    It didn't work, it told me

Error: ! LaTeX Error: \bibname undefined.

8. Apr 6, 2008 #7
    Oh are you writing an article as opposed to a report/book?
    Try \renewcommand{\refname}{}

9. Apr 7, 2008 #8
    Perfect, thanks. Using

\renewcommand{\refname}{}

and then

\vspace{-11mm}

before the bibliography seems to be about perfect.

Thanks so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?