Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Latex Bibliography

1. Apr 1, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Latex Bibliography

Whenever I create a bibliography in latex using

Code (Text):
    \bibliographystyle{plain}

\begin{thebibliography}{1}

\bibitem{Reference 1}Details about Reference 1

\bibitem{Reference 2}Details about Reference 2

\end{thebibliography}
    It puts the title `References' above it. Does anyone know how to make it omit the title?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2008 #2
    72 views and nobody knows how to do it? I figured it was probably somthing simple.

4. Apr 4, 2008 #3

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Presumably the solution is to find a bibliography style file that does not write out "Reference".
    The only other option is to start redefining various parameters, but that is usually extremely messy so it is not something I would recommend.

Latex is only simple as long as you follow the "templates" (sty-files etc), really customizing the appearance of your documents can be quite a daunting task.

5. Apr 4, 2008 #4
    You can just put \renewcommand{\bibname}{} into your preamble, although because that's just renaming the title to be nothing, you get quite a bit of white space above your references which I'm not sure how you could get rid of, although it is a crude way to achieve what you want.

6. Apr 5, 2008 #5
    Thanks, I'll play with that, and maybe some negative vertical space to fix it up.

7. Apr 5, 2008 #6
    It didn't work, it told me

Error: ! LaTeX Error: \bibname undefined.

8. Apr 6, 2008 #7
    Oh are you writing an article as opposed to a report/book?
    Try \renewcommand{\refname}{}

9. Apr 7, 2008 #8
    Perfect, thanks. Using

\renewcommand{\refname}{}

and then

\vspace{-11mm}

before the bibliography seems to be about perfect.

Thanks so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?