Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LaTeX: can anyone guess where all this space is coming from? or how to get rid of it?

1. Apr 29, 2012 #1
    This is what's happening: (space after "-demonstrates wave particle duality")

A1ayC.png

This is the surrounding code:
    Code (Text):
    \begin{multicols}{2}
    \section*{\centerline{Classical Experiment}}
    \begin{singlespace*}
    \begin{itemize*}
    \item demonstrates particle/wave duality
    \end{itemize*}
    \end{singlespace*}

A coherent beam of light is passed through two slits.  The light passing through the slits produces an interference pattern, confirming its wavelike propagation.  This appeared to refute the corpuscular theory of light thought up by Pierre Gassendi and developed by Isaac Newton.
    (see here for the whole file -- you'll note I'm going to a lot of effort to make the document compact!)

I cannot for the life of me figure out where it's coming from. Any assistance would be much appreciated. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2012 #2
    Re: LaTeX: can anyone guess where all this space is coming from? or how to get rid of

Here is what I get using pdflatex from texlive...it does not look like there is any space.

Attached Files:

4. Apr 29, 2012 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: LaTeX: can anyone guess where all this space is coming from? or how to get rid of

I'm guessing that multicols is trying to balance the lengths of the columns, and it can't fit any more in the first column without doing something "bad" lilke putting headings at the bottom of the column.

The attachment in post #2 doesn't contain the "references", so I'm guessing the column breaks are different and the problem goes away.

You can probably squeeze some vertical space from around the rule below the main heading.

Sometimes deleting blank lines like the one after \end(singlespace) helps, for reasons that I've never fully understood!

Deleting the singlespace environment completely might help, because you only seem to have one line of text inside it and environments sometimes add some vertical space above and below themselves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook