Latex Code not showing formula

In summary, the conversation discusses potential issues with the code posted in a thread, specifically regarding the use of closing itex tags and the rendering of LaTeX equations. The original poster suggests using ## tags for inline LaTeX and $$ for standalone equations. The conversation also provides corrected versions of the equations and thanks the other participant for their help.
swmmr1928
in this post

Is there a problem with my code?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is part of what you posted in the thread you linked to:
swmmr1928 said:

Homework Equations

[itеx]P=-\frac{\partial{U}} {\partial{V}}[/itеx]
[itеx]P=kT(\frac{\partial{ln Q}}{\partial V})[/itеx]
[itеx]U=kT^2(\frac{\partial{ln Q}}{\partial V})[/itеx]

The Attempt at a Solution

Code:
 [itеx]\overline{(E-U)(p-\overline{p})}=Cov(E,p)=\overline{E*p}-\overline{E}*\overline{p}=\overline{E*p}-U*\overline{p}[\itеx]

[itеx]\overline{E*p}=?[\itеx]

I think that a couple of your closing itex tags were not formed correctly (\itex instead of /itex), and that caused all of the LaTeX to not render correctly. I find it easier to use
Code:
##
tags for inline LaTeX, and
Code:
$$
for standalone LaTeX.

##P=-\frac{\partial{U}} {\partial{V}}##
##P=kT(\frac{\partial{ln Q}}{\partial V}) ##
## U=kT^2(\frac{\partial{ln Q}}{\partial V}) ##

[itex]\overline{(E-U)(p-\overline{p})}=Cov(E,p)=\overline{E*p}-\overline{E}*\overline{p}=\overline{E*p}-U*\overline{p}[/itex]

Last edited:
Thanks that fixed it

What is latex code?

Latex code is a programming language used for typesetting mathematical equations and scientific documents. It allows for precise and consistent formatting of complex mathematical expressions.

Why is my latex code not showing the formula?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that there is an error in the code itself, such as a missing or incorrect symbol. Another possibility is that the necessary latex package is not included or installed. It is also possible that the code is not being rendered by the program or platform being used.

How can I fix the issue of my latex code not showing the formula?

The first step is to check for any errors in the code and correct them. If the code appears to be correct, try including the necessary latex packages and recompiling the document. If the issue persists, try using a different program or platform to render the code.

Are there any resources available for troubleshooting latex code?

Yes, there are many online resources and forums where users can seek help with latex code. Additionally, most latex programs and platforms have documentation and support available for troubleshooting issues.

Is there an alternative to using latex code for displaying equations?

Yes, there are other programming languages and tools available for typesetting mathematical equations, such as MathML and Microsoft Word's equation editor. However, latex remains the most widely used and preferred method for scientific and mathematical documents.