Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Latex Codes?

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone

I am a new member of this forum and I wonder how can I use those Latex codes for mathematical slymbol displays? I try typing those codes but it came out just the way I type them, do i need to install something before I can use those codes?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Mar 4, 2008 #3
    You can also click the sigma icon in the post toolbar.

5. Mar 4, 2008 #4
  6. Mar 4, 2008 #5
    Thx ~ [tex] o \Upsilon o [/tex]

7. Mar 6, 2008 #6
    What sigma icon?
    (Yes, I'm in advanced; yes, I'm in prime.)

8. Mar 7, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think its only available in certain forums such as homework and coursework.

9. Mar 7, 2008 #8
    Wow...
    I just hopped over to a homework forum.
    That sigma dropdown is gorgeous.
    Any chance of someone (*cough* Hi, Greg! Have a chocolate!) adding that feature to other forums, as well?

10. Mar 7, 2008 #9

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I know that they are in the Relativity and General Physics forums.
    I would guess that they are in some of the others science and math forums as well.
    They seem not to be in the PF lounge (eg, Forum Feeback), the Technology forums, and Academic & Career Guidance.

11. Mar 8, 2008 #10
    The Lounge doesn't really need it, and I doubt career advice does either. I'm no good with technology but I would guess it isn't really used in that either.

12. Apr 21, 2008 #11

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

When I looked at some old posts with latex codes in them, the background colour of the parts in latex was not white as in [tex]this[/tex], but the usual colour of the rest of the page. They looked so much better.

Could anybody enlighten me on this?

13. Apr 21, 2008 #12

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your latex doesn't appear to have a white background to me.

14. Apr 21, 2008 #13

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  15. Apr 21, 2008 #14

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Simple solution: Don't use Internet Exploder.

16. Apr 21, 2008 #15

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

How, but how, do you manage to find all these stuff within minutes?

You yourself seem to have answered it in the thread Kurdt has given, in this this post.

Well, I have sunk to the level of using windows nowadays instead of good old Linux. Actually, I found IE to be faster than some of the other browsers. But it's IE 6.x. So, according to Hoot, upgrading to 7 will get rid of the problem. But it'll slower, naturally.

But there still remains the riddle of why I see old posts in the natural background. I'll have to fiddle around a bit more to see what's the cutoff date. Thank you all.

17. Apr 25, 2008 #16

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

LaTex codes? You do not need to directly use them if you can use TexAide, which will work well on the forums. You still must supply the 'tex' tags for your coded notation to appear correctly. TexAide is a free program from Design Science Associates, the company who makes MathType. TexAide is very easy to use and you do not need to learn any special code (since TexAide takes care of that for you.)

18. Apr 25, 2008 #17
    Thanks for the suggestion, but we already have a GUI for LaTeX equation building.

19. Apr 25, 2008 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's your problem. You have to bribe the members of the sisterhood with chocolates. Greg can only be bribed with ring pops. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?