Latex Died Again - Fix It Now!

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Tom.G
  • Start date
In summary: I don't know Tom's reason for still using XP, but we do have a handful of old PCs here in the lab still running XP because we have some legacy tools and applications that only run on that old OS.
Tom.G
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, once again someone recently did a 'New and Improved' iteration of Latex and broke it, at least on older browsers.
I've cleared the browser cache (>10 000 files) and refreshed the page, all to no avail. :cry:

Please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Latex implementation is independent - that is, PF is just a "user" of an external tool, implemented and hosted elsewhere, and these upgrades are automatic (I am not seven sure they can be switched off at our side). So as far as I am aware all @Greg Bernhardt can do is to report a problem up.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Is anyone else having issues?
I haven't had any problems. I'm on Win 10 with Edge as the browser.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Tom.G said:
Well, once again someone recently did a 'New and Improved' iteration of Latex and broke it, at least on older browsers.
I've cleared the browser cache (>10 000 files) and refreshed the page, all to no avail. :cry:
Can you post the LaTeX here that seems broken for you?

As I said, older browsers. Firefox 43.0.1, and Mypal 23.13.0 which is a later fork of Firefox and works on Almost all websites. Also old is Win XP Pro, 32 bit.

Your major update of the site several months ago broke my ability to make posts at the time and really messed up the menu in the posting editor. That prompted my use of the Mypal browser. Fortunately those problems were eventually corrected.

Here are links to two examples, each followed by a copy-&paste of the displayed text which I enclosed here in [ ICODE ], [ /ICODE ]

EXAMPLE 1:
https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/6623801

"The equation F in BSL table 19.2-4 and Exercise 19D.2 seem to suggest that Cp should be evaluated at the existing overall molar composition as ##\sum{y_iC_{P,i}}##. I should also point out that, in BSL, the molar flux is defined in terms of the mass transfer coefficient by $$\dot{M}_i^"=k_i\left(y_i-\frac{p_i(T)}{P}\right)$$ where ##k_i## has units of moles/m^2s. Under these definitions, the Sherwood number for a porous medium (for use in conjunction with the correlation equation) would be defined as $$\frac{k_iD_p}{(1-\epsilon)cD_i\psi}$$ where, in BSL notation, $$c=\rho_{m}=\frac{P}{RT_I}$$ BSL point out that ##cD_i## is much less dependent on temperature than ##D_i##."

EXAMPLE 2:
https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/6624526
"I have successfully done first order equations before but this one has got me a little stuck. My attempt at the general solution below: $${5} \frac{\text{d}\theta}{\text{d}t}=-6\theta$$ $${5} \frac{\text{d}\theta}{\text{d}t} =\frac{\text{-6}\theta}{5}$$ $$d\theta = \frac{-6\theta}{5} dt $$ The integral should then = $$\theta = \frac{1}{5} in(5)$$ $$\theta = -6 \times (\frac{1}{5}) in (5) + c$$"

Thanks,
Tom

Windows XP is not "old", it is completely and utterly dead and was buried eight years ago. You need to replace it with an OS that will run current browser releases.

Hm, as far as I am aware XP is the last Windows version that got security approval from FSB RF, which is why it is still used by Russian gov.

@Tom.G - is there something you forgot to tell us about? :wink:

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu, Astronuc, mfb and 2 others
Tom.G said:

Works fine for me on my old Windows Vista PC with Firefox 52.9.0:

1653311068818.png

• Wow
Likes Astronuc
berkeman said:
Works fine for me on my old Windows Vista PC with Firefox 52.9.0:
Looks like FF 52.9 (this will be a significant update!) and Chrome 49 are the latest versions for XP which you can update to.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G
Thanks!

I have downloaded and will investigate to see how many of the dozen-plus plug-ins I use are compatible and which internal setting need modifying. (If I can figure it all out again, IIRC some are a bit touchy. :cry:)

Of course from my viewpoint, it would be easier if MathJax was fixed, just as the posting editor and its menu were previously. :biggrin::biggrin:

If I disappear for a while you will know why!

Tom

Tom.G said:
I have downloaded and will investigate to see how many of the dozen-plus plug-ins I use are compatible and which internal setting need modifying.
You are using a dozen plug-ins from unspecified authors on an unsupported and insecure version of Firefox running on an unsupported and insecure version of Windows? I suppose next you are going to say you aren't aware of out-of-band security patches such as the Security Update for Windows XP SP3 (KB4500331)?

Why do you think that this is a good idea? What would it take to persuade you otherwise?

Likes Wrichik Basu and Vanadium 50
pbuk said:
Why do you think that this is a good idea?
I don't know Tom's reason for still using XP, but we do have a handful of old PCs here in the lab still running XP because we have some legacy tools and applications that only run on that old OS. We are not allowed to plug them into the building network, however, since IT obviously considers them a security risk.

berkeman said:
We are not allowed to plug them into the building network
I got to just that sentence, thinking "I hope to heaven they don't have this on the internet".

I used to work with a piece of equipment that had a rack PC running DOS. DOS! Ancient, but not insecure - how would you ever connect it to a network?

Vanadium 50 said:
how would you ever connect it to a network?
Like this?
300-Baud-Modem.jpg

Likes anorlunda, BillTre and berkeman
Yes. An acoustic modem and Kermit, you could even run Gopher for internet stuff.

anorlunda said:
Gopher
I remember that. Now I feel old. :frown:

• Haha
Likes anorlunda
DrClaude said:
remember that. Now I feel old.
There's a reason for that. :devil:

Likes DrClaude
pbuk said:
Windows XP is not "old", it is completely and utterly dead and was buried eight years ago. You need to replace it with an OS that will run current browser releases.
Amen to that!
DrClaude said:
I remember that. Now I feel old.
Re: Gopher and Kermit and modems and Pine. I don't feel that old, but am. Back in the early 90s I was using my IBM-compatible PC at the college I worked at, to connect to the school's mini that was running Unix, so that I could compile some simple C programs.

Likes Astronuc and DrClaude

What is "Latex Died Again - Fix It Now!"?

"Latex Died Again - Fix It Now!" is a phrase commonly used in the scientific community to refer to a technical issue that occurs when using the typesetting software, LaTeX. This issue can cause the software to crash or malfunction, leading to frustration and delays in research and writing.

Why does LaTeX die?

LaTeX can die due to a variety of reasons, such as incompatible packages, coding errors, or memory issues. It is essential to regularly update and maintain the software to prevent these issues from occurring.

How can I fix LaTeX when it dies?

There are several steps you can take to fix LaTeX when it dies. First, try restarting the software and your computer. If that does not work, check for any coding errors or incompatible packages. You may also need to update your software or allocate more memory to LaTeX.

How can I prevent LaTeX from dying?

To prevent LaTeX from dying, it is crucial to regularly update and maintain the software. Additionally, be sure to check for any coding errors and only use compatible packages. It is also helpful to save your work frequently to avoid losing progress in case of a crash.

What should I do if I encounter "Latex Died Again - Fix It Now!" frequently?

If you frequently encounter "Latex Died Again - Fix It Now!" while using LaTeX, it may be a sign that your software or computer needs to be updated. You may also want to seek help from more experienced LaTeX users or consult online forums for troubleshooting advice.