Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LaTeX editor for Mac?

1. Jun 16, 2013 #1
    I just got a MacBook and I was wondering what are some of the good latex editors out there?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2013 #2

Gold Member

4. Oct 6, 2015 #3
    It may not suit all, but Archimedes is a great, lightweight editor that supports Markdown and LaTeX: http://www.mattrajca.com/archimedes [Broken]

Great for casual drafts / homework assignments.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Oct 6, 2015 #4
    I agree with you, Hepth. It has internal pdf viewer and so it makes the screen compact, I think.
  6. Oct 6, 2015 #5

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I use Kile on my macbook as well as my linux desktop. It's hard to beat Kile, IMHO.
  7. Oct 10, 2015 #6
    If you use R then I suggest you going with R-Studio, there's a LaTeX editor integrated in it (R Sweave) as long as you have the (free) TeX libraries installed on your computer. I use that because I *always* use R when I write my LaTeX, and my macbook is getting quite old so having both in the same software makes it easier for my CPU.

But if you don't use R, then I suggest you take a look at LyX. It is, by far, the most intuitive TeX editor I have ever used.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook