Finding the Best LaTeX Editor for WYSIWYG and Math Expressions

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for a good \LaTeX editor that allows for WYSIWYG editing and the use of mathematical expressions written in \LaTeX. LyX and TeXnicCenter have been mentioned as options, but the latter has some bugs. The person is also seeking recommendations for an editor that does not require knowledge of coding. Warren does not have any recommendations.
nille40
Hi everybody!
I'm looking for a good [tex]\LaTeX[/tex] editor... I'm primarily looking for an application where text and styles are WYSIWYG, but mathematical expressions are written using latex. I tried LyX, but didn't really like the one... I'm currently using TeXnicCenter, which has a few to many bugs to use it to take notes on lectures...

Physics news on Phys.org
I know there was a website I found a while ago that could do it right over the internet for you. Anyone?

No, Greg, he's not asking for a website that can generate equation graphics for him -- like www.equationsheet.com.

He's looking for an EDITOR -- a graphical program that let's him build LaTeX graphics without having to know any codes.

I didn't respond because I frankly don't know any that are worth a poop.

- Warren

1. What is a WYSIWYG editor in LaTeX?

A WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor in LaTeX allows users to directly manipulate and edit the layout and appearance of their document, while simultaneously seeing the final output. This is especially useful for those who are not familiar with the coding language of LaTeX and prefer a more visual approach to document creation.

2. Why is it important to have a WYSIWYG editor for math expressions in LaTeX?

Math expressions can be complex and difficult to code in LaTeX. A WYSIWYG editor allows users to easily insert and edit math expressions using a more intuitive interface, making it easier to create accurate and visually appealing equations.

3. What features should I look for in a WYSIWYG LaTeX editor?

Some important features to consider when choosing a WYSIWYG LaTeX editor include the ability to insert and edit math expressions, a user-friendly interface, compatibility with different operating systems, and the ability to export documents in various formats.

4. Are there any free WYSIWYG LaTeX editors available?

Yes, there are several free and open-source WYSIWYG LaTeX editors available, such as LyX, TeXmaker, and TeXstudio. These editors offer a range of features for creating and editing documents, without the need for a paid subscription.

5. Can I use a WYSIWYG editor and a traditional LaTeX editor together?

Yes, it is possible to use both a WYSIWYG editor and a traditional LaTeX editor together. This allows users to take advantage of the visual interface for easier document creation, while still having the option to manually edit the code for more complex equations or formatting.