Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Latex extension (updated)

1. Mar 28, 2007 #1

It doesn't crash anymore :biggrin:

Firefox & windows only, sorry. I have a few more features I hope I can get in today/tomorrow before I take it out of beta. As always, any suggestions would be appreciated - especially on the interface.

ETA: Drag it into a firefox window to install.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2007 #2
    What exactly does it do? My main OS is Linux, though. :(
  4. Mar 28, 2007 #3
    Renders it client-side. It's good for learning latex, or for writing up a complicated expression before submitting it. I'm thinking I'll add automatic uploading sometime today. Linux support is my next big project after finishing the minor features.
  5. Mar 28, 2007 #4
    nice, I like this..
    very handy, but when I press render, I get nothing..
  6. Mar 28, 2007 #5
    Sounds good. I'll wait. :)
  7. Mar 28, 2007 #6
    Hmm I thought I got rid of that bug. Is your c:\temp folder writeable? Try closing firefox & starting it again. Also try to reproduce it & post the steps.
  8. Mar 28, 2007 #7
    I just created a folder called temp in C: and it worked just fine.
  9. Mar 28, 2007 #8
    Glad to hear it :)
  10. Apr 28, 2007 #9
    Linux only version is up.

It involves some fairly sophisticated code. I'll eventually figure out how to merge it into the main trunk..

The windows version is currently bogged down in the mozilla sandbox. If you've tried it & you have an addons.mozilla account, post something & bug those editors into making it public. :p
  11. Apr 29, 2007 #10
    Great! Thank you very much. This seems to be very useful. Is there a way to add custom code?
  12. Apr 29, 2007 #11
    Yeah ... mostly. Rename the .xpi as .zip & check. Adding new favorites is easy, adding new latex functions is hard. I'd appreciate any suggestions too.
  13. Apr 29, 2007 #12
    Which file do I use to change the favourites? Should I install it again after changing them?
  14. Apr 29, 2007 #13

this extension is very good for testing xul. Yeah you'll have to install it again unless you edit the currently installed extension.(in which case you just restart)
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  15. Apr 29, 2007 #14
    Tried that, but I get this error when trying to save the file. (I was accessing it as root, and that file was inside my home folder.)
    Of course, having the option to change the favourites from within the browser will always be welcome. :wink:
  16. Apr 29, 2007 #15
    I don't know why firefox makes it read only. You'll have to change permissions.

yeah I was thinking about that & I have no idea how to do it.
  17. Apr 29, 2007 #16
    Changing the permission worked! Thanks. Although I added \\kappa to the list of Greek letters and it appears as a mu. :biggrin:
  18. Apr 29, 2007 #17
  19. May 31, 2007 #18
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?