LaTex formatting question

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter DieCommie
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello,

I have a simple question on formatting with LaTex. I use the MiKTeX 2.6 package and write the code in TeXnicCenter.

What I want is for a paragraph to be on the bottom of the page. My teacher wants the abstract on the cover page. So I have my name and the experiment name on the top and then I want my abstract paragraph to be on the bottom with a bunch of space in between the title and abstract. I dont want the abstract to wrap to the second page.

I have tried using footnote commands, but then it gets numbered and has funny formatting. There should be a way to do this without footnote.

Thx for any help you have!

(I hope I put this in the right forum...)

Answers and Replies

kdv
Hello,

I have a simple question on formatting with LaTex. I use the MiKTeX 2.6 package and write the code in TeXnicCenter.

What I want is for a paragraph to be on the bottom of the page. My teacher wants the abstract on the cover page. So I have my name and the experiment name on the top and then I want my abstract paragraph to be on the bottom with a bunch of space in between the title and abstract. I dont want the abstract to wrap to the second page.

I have tried using footnote commands, but then it gets numbered and has funny formatting. There should be a way to do this without footnote.

Thx for any help you have!

(I hope I put this in the right forum...)
I use the same setup as you (MikTeX and TeXnicCenter)
I use the amsstex packages. I am using the "article" class.

Here is something that seems to work: just before the \begin{abstract} line I put

\vspace*{1truecm}

If you change the 1 for another number you are inserting more vertical space.

Thx for the reply,

I was hoping there was a more slick way to do it automatically instead of manually finding a number the proper vertical space. Otherwise, I will do that...

What does \begin{abstract} do? I discovered that while goggling today, but it didnt seem to have an effect in my paper.

Thx again

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
you may be able to use \vfill

Stuff
\vfill
more stuff