Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LaTex formatting question

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1

I have a simple question on formatting with LaTex. I use the MiKTeX 2.6 package and write the code in TeXnicCenter.

What I want is for a paragraph to be on the bottom of the page. My teacher wants the abstract on the cover page. So I have my name and the experiment name on the top and then I want my abstract paragraph to be on the bottom with a bunch of space in between the title and abstract. I dont want the abstract to wrap to the second page.

I have tried using footnote commands, but then it gets numbered and has funny formatting. There should be a way to do this without footnote.

Thx for any help you have!

(I hope I put this in the right forum...)
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2008 #2

I use the same setup as you (MikTeX and TeXnicCenter)
    I use the amsstex packages. I am using the "article" class.

Here is something that seems to work: just before the \begin{abstract} line I put

If you change the 1 for another number you are inserting more vertical space.
  4. Feb 16, 2008 #3
    Thx for the reply,

I was hoping there was a more slick way to do it automatically instead of manually finding a number the proper vertical space. Otherwise, I will do that...

What does \begin{abstract} do? I discovered that while goggling today, but it didnt seem to have an effect in my paper.

Thx again
  5. Feb 16, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

you may be able to use \vfill

more stuff
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?