Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Latex getting garbled

1. Feb 9, 2014 #1
    I have been facing this problem from quite some time. It usually gets ok after refreshing the page but now I sometimes need to refresh the page more than 2-3 times, its getting annoying. :grumpy:

Is someone else facing this problem or is it a problem on my end?

If it helps, I am using the latest version of Google Chrome.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

If refreshing helps, it is because the image is cached on your computer.
  4. Feb 9, 2014 #3

Gold Member

There shouldn't be any image caching now that we use MathJax--it renders the LaTeX using Javascript.

Pranav, do you have problems with other sites that use MathJax? (e.g. MathOverflow?)
  5. Feb 9, 2014 #4
    I don't face any problems with other sites using MathJax. There is only one website I use besides PF. :)
  6. Feb 9, 2014 #5

Homework Helper

I have the same issue. I need to hit Refresh once or sometimes more than once to resolve it.

Chrome on Windows 8.

Didn't have a problem with the previous version of LaTex on the site - what happened then was we'd merely see the tags without the LaTex being rendered until we refreshed it. But never garbled like this.
  7. Feb 9, 2014 #6

Staff: Mentor

Previous version used images generated locally and served then - unfortunately, it used way too much resources with millions of images being stored on the server. New version renders LaTeX client side - that is, what you see is drawn locally by the JavaScript (www.mathjax.org).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook