Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Latex - graphs closer together

1. Apr 27, 2013 #1
    There was not enough room to fit my graphs in the text where they were supposed to go so latex put them in the next page. This meant that this page only has these two graphs and the text begins again on the page after that. There is a lot of space between (see attached). How do i make it take up less room and have text on that page too?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2013 #2

kreil

Gold Member

4. Apr 27, 2013 #3
    Hi thanks for your response.

However my graphs have to be this size. and they dont go side by side unless smaller. Its the vertical space inbetween them I dont want. so instead of having 6cm between them on the page i want only one cm. if tried eg \vspace{-50mm} but that doesnt shift it.

Thanks

5. Apr 27, 2013 #4

kreil

Gold Member

It could be that the images themselves have a lot of whitespace and need to be cropped.

If you put the \includegraphics command inside of \fbox, i.e.

Code (Text):
    \fbox{\includegraphics[options]{filename}}
    it will draw a box around the figures and let you see if this is the case. If so, you can crop the image files manually, or (if you like trial/error) within your editor with the trim option of the graphicx package (example numbers):

Code (Text):
    \includegraphics[trim = 10mm 80mm 20mm 5mm, clip, width=3cm]{filename}
    trim = l b r t (left bottom right top)

6. Apr 27, 2013 #5
    the graphics size is fine, and the white box is too. i have know idea why this is happening! :(

7. Apr 27, 2013 #6

kreil

Gold Member

Sounds to me like you'll have to compromise on the size a bit and just adjust the caption font size so it's still readable. Play around with the scale and try to find the threshold where it allows the text on the same page.

8. Apr 27, 2013 #7
    You could also attempt to change the margin of THAT particular page to fit your figures.

By the way...why do you say your pictures HAVE to be that size? A bit smaller may not hurt and, for as long as you have imported your figures in pdf format, they should be nicely zoomable...remember, by now, most of us have pretty good monitors and will make the page pretty wide...so, at the end, the size of you picture does not matter that much.

9. Apr 28, 2013 #8
    ive got to give a hard copy... They have lots of rules incl fig size, margin size, font size etc etc :(

thanks ill have a play!

10. Apr 28, 2013 #9
    Well, the whole point of LaTeX is to meet publishing standards...if what they are asking you does not fit into the normal document, maybe they are not following publishing standards and all bets are off...you can go ahead and start modifying the page margin and all that stuff, as suggested before.

11. Apr 29, 2013 #10

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you try \vspace*{-50mm} ?

12. Apr 29, 2013 #11

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you say "latex put them on the next page", do you mean each graph is inside
    Code (Text):
    \begin{figure} ... \end{figure}
    and the figures didn't end up where you hoped they would?

If so, try tweaking the parameters that LaTeX uses to control the page layout. The defaults are fairly conservative and won't put just a "few" lines of text on a page that contains mostly figures.

See http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/bibliog/latex/floats.html, or google for more informatikon, now you know what the parameter names are.

13. Apr 29, 2013 #12

jhae2.718

Gold Member

You can use the float package with
    Code (Text):
    \usepackage{float}
    and then force figures to appear where you place them using
    Code (Text):

\begin{figure}[H]
        % figure stuff
    \end{figure}

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook