LaTex help for nuclear reactions?

In summary: MeVIn summary, the conversation is about using LaTex for creating images of nuclear reactions. The individual is having trouble with their attempts so far and is asking for guidelines in order to complete their project before a deadline. Another individual provides a custom command for creating chemical symbols in LaTex. The conversation also briefly touches on calculations and testing the custom command.
Vodka
LaTex help for nuclear reactions? - got it, thanks

i need a guideline for to get images for nuclear equations, all my attempts thus far were failures. i tried

^4_2 He + ^27_13 Al becomes ^31_15 P becomes ^30_15 P + ^1_0 n ,
but it didn't work. i don't know why, nor do i have the time to learn it before this paper is due. i don't have any other way to do it [short of making my own in MSPaint heh], so if somebody could give me a guideline from which i could substitute letters and numbers as needed, it would be great and i can delete this thread. thanks :D

ediT: thanks a lot :) I'm going to keep this here for a little bit longer to reference again if i need, but this thread should be gone in a day or so.

[tex]

\frac{216MeV}{22 168.125MeV} = 0.00974 \times 100 = 0.974

[/tex]

[tex]
2.4048\times 10^{-25} kg + 1.5364\times 10^{-25} kg + 8.3812\times 10^{-29} kg [/tex]

[tex] 3.941\times 10^{-25} kg

[/tex]

[tex] E = (3.941\times 10^{-25} kg)(3.00\times 8 \ ms^{-1})^2 [/tex]
[/tex]

[tex]

F = \frac{k q^{}_1 q^{}_2}_{r^2}

[/tex]

[tex]

3(m^{}_n) = 3(1.67\times 10^{-27}) = 5.01\times 10^{-27} kg
[/tex]
---
[tex]
\sum {m^{}_{{}^3H}} = m^{}_p + m^{}_n = 4.033271\textrm{amu}[/tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
\sum {m^{}_{{}^2H}} = m^{}_p + m^{}_n = 3.024606\textrm{amu}[/tex]
[/tex]

[tex] 5.011265\textrm{amu} [/tex]
---

[tex] E^{}_{{}^3H} = 6.012\times 10^{-10}J[/tex]
[tex] E^{}_{{}^2H} = 4.505\times 10^{-10}J[/tex]

[tex] \frac{E^{}_{\textrm{difference}}}_{E^{}_{\textrm{potential}}}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{E^{}_{\textrm{difference}}}_{E^{}_{{}^2H}+E^{}_{{}^3H}}} [/tex]

mproton + mneutron = 1.007276 + 1.008665 = 2.015941 amu

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
{}^4_2\textrm{He} + {}^{27}_{13}\textrm{Al} \to {}^{31}_{15}\textrm{P} \to {}^{30}_{15}\textrm{P} + {}^1_0\textrm{n}
[/tex]

You can make empty characters with {} (two brackets, no space), and you can apply sub and superscripts to empty characters. Click on the image to see what I typed in.

cookiemonster

Last edited:
Here's a nice custom command which I use:

\newcommand{\nucl}[3]{
\ensuremath{
\phantom{\ensuremath{^{#1}_{#2}}}
\llap{\ensuremath{^{#1}}}
\llap{\ensuremath{_{\rule{0pt}{.75em}#2}}}
\mbox{#3}
}
}

It must be implemented in math mode. So, if you want the chemical symbol for U-235, you would type $\nucl{235}{92}{U}$.

Works great.

Originally posted by GRQC
So, if you want the chemical symbol for U-235, you would type $\nucl{235}{92}{U}$.
[tex]\newcommand{\nucl}[3]{
\ensuremath{
\phantom{\ensuremath{^{#1}_{#2}}}
\llap{\ensuremath{^{#1}}}
\llap{\ensuremath{_{\rule{0pt}{.75em}#2}}}
\mbox{#3}
}
}
\nucl{235}{92}{U}
[/tex]

Nice! :smile:

- Warren

yes, that is a very nice feature :)

and another test...sorry...

[tex] \frac{E^{}_{\textrm{difference}}}_{E^{}_{{}^2H}+E^

{}_{{}^3H}}} [/tex]

[tex] E^{}_{{}^2H} = 4.505\times 10^{-10}J = 281.56 [/tex]
[tex] E^{}_{{}^3H} = 6.012\times 10^{-10}J = 375.75 [/tex]

[tex] 22168.125MeV [/tex]

Last edited:

What is LaTeX and how is it used for nuclear reactions?

LaTeX is a document preparation system that is commonly used for creating technical and scientific documents, including those related to nuclear reactions. It allows for precise formatting of equations, figures, and text, making it ideal for presenting complex scientific information.

How can I create equations for nuclear reactions using LaTeX?

To create equations for nuclear reactions in LaTeX, you can use the built-in math mode by enclosing your equations in dollar signs ($). You can also use specialized packages such as amsmath or mhchem to easily format chemical equations.

Can I include diagrams or figures of nuclear reactions in my LaTeX document?

Yes, you can include diagrams or figures of nuclear reactions in your LaTeX document using the graphicx package. This package allows you to import images and graphics into your document, and provides options for scaling and positioning.

How can I format my references for nuclear reaction sources in LaTeX?

To format references for nuclear reaction sources in LaTeX, you can use a bibliography management tool such as BibTeX. This allows you to create a list of references in a separate .bib file and cite them in your document using specific formatting styles.

Are there any templates or resources available for creating LaTeX documents on nuclear reactions?

Yes, there are many templates and resources available for creating LaTeX documents on nuclear reactions. Some journals and organizations provide their own templates, and there are also templates available online that can be customized for your specific needs. Additionally, there are many online tutorials and forums where you can find help and advice for creating LaTeX documents on nuclear reactions.