LaTeX Help for Newbies - Solve Equation Rendering Issue

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Rhapsody83
  • Start date
In summary: In summary, some new users have faced difficulties while using LaTeX on Physics Forums. This is due to the forum's use of "lazy rendering" to speed up the initial post, which requires a refresh to render equations. This issue has been reported multiple times and it may be helpful to have a banner stating whether the MathJax resource has been loaded when creating new threads.
Rhapsody83
I'm new here and have never used LaTeX before, so excuse my ignorance. I looked up how to include equations in a post and found this link. I cannot get equations to render when clicking preview. I tried copying and pasting this: $$x = \frac {-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 -4ac}} {2a},$$ but it stays as raw code when I click preview. Can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
As you can see it rendered correctly when I posted. Not sure why it did not when I clicked preview as the link I gave said it would?

PF uses "lazy rendering" to speed up the initial post. You need to refresh once to get it to render. Welcome to PF! :smile:

Likes mcastillo356
Thanks for replying. Now time to go and do some research on how to use LaTeX and to make my first actual post.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
PF uses "lazy rendering" to speed up the initial post. You need to refresh once to get it to render.
This needs to be mentioned somewhere in the help section. Or a banner can be shown when creating threads stating whether the MathJax resource has been loaded. Any new user (or the unaware) will be fooled otherwise.

The following are threads that have been posted on this issue in this year:
Not many, but I believe new users can face some trouble. Regular users, who seldom post new threads compared to replying to threads, may also forget and be bewildered. Not complaining or ranting, but I believe a banner stating whether the MathJax resource has been loaded will be helpful when creating new threads.

Edit: Further updated to add more threads to the list.

Last edited:
Likes Old Person, topsquark and BillTre

1. Why is my equation not displaying properly in LaTeX?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One common reason is that the necessary packages for rendering equations are not loaded. Make sure to include the amsmath and amssymb packages in your preamble. Another possibility is that there is a syntax error in your equation. Check for missing or incorrect symbols or brackets.

2. How can I align my equations in LaTeX?

To align multiple equations, use the align environment. Place an ampersand (&) before the equals sign in each equation to indicate the alignment point. You can also use the aligned environment within the equation environment to align equations on a single line.

3. Can I include Greek letters and special symbols in my equations?

Yes, LaTeX has built-in support for Greek letters and many other special symbols. Simply use the appropriate command, such as \alpha for α or \sum for ∑.

4. How can I add equation numbers in LaTeX?

To add equation numbers, use the equation environment. You can also use the align environment to add numbers to individual equations by using the \tag command after the equation you want to number.

5. Is there a way to customize the font size and style of equations in LaTeX?

Yes, you can use the \displaystyle command to change the font size of an individual equation. You can also use the \text command to change the font style, such as \textbf for bold or \textit for italic. To apply these changes to all equations, use the \everymath command in your preamble.