How do I split equations in LaTeX

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with splitting large equations in a LaTeX document. The user has found a solution by using dummy delimiters, specifically "\right." at the end of the first line and "\left." at the beginning of the second line. This has resolved the issue with missing closing brackets in the resulting .ps file.
S.P.P
Couldn't think of a better place to post this. I'm writing a document in latex that has several very large equations in it. I can split them up so that they take up two or three lines using the \begin{split} command or \begin{align} command, but If I need to split a line that is contained within a braket, the closing braket does not show in the resulting .ps file, and I get all sorts of errors when I try run 'latex file.tex' saying that I'm missing the \right] braket. So how do I split equations with the opening braket on one line, and the closing braket on another?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've gotten around this problem in the past by inserting a "\right." at the end of the first line and a "\left." at the beginning of the second line. I believe these commands serve as dummy delimiters.

Thank you, that has sorted it out. :smile:

1. How do I split long equations in LaTeX?

To split long equations in LaTeX, you can use the \begin{split}\end{split} environment. This allows you to split the equation into multiple lines, and you can use the \\ command to specify where the split should occur.

2. Can I split equations without interrupting the numbering?

Yes, you can use the \begin{align}\end{align} environment to split equations without interrupting the numbering. This environment also allows you to align multiple equations at specific points using the & symbol.

3. How do I align multiple equations at a specific point?

You can use the & symbol within the \begin{align}\end{align} environment to align multiple equations at a specific point. For example, x+y &= 5 \\ x-y &= 3 will align both equations at the = sign.

4. Can I split equations in different ways for different purposes?

Yes, you can use the \begin{cases}\end{cases} environment to create cases within an equation. This is useful for showing different equations for different scenarios or conditions.

5. How can I label and reference split equations?

You can use the \label and \ref commands to label and reference split equations in LaTeX. Simply place the \label command after the \begin{split} line, and use the \ref command to reference the equation number in your text.