Latex Formatting Help for Maths Coursework - Ryan

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter ryan88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary: I'll try using \code instead.In summary, Ryan has trouble with a couple of cosmetic things in his tex and pdf files. He has attached his files for feedback.
ryan88
Hi,

I am quite new to latex but have a piece of maths coursework to do so decided that I would use that in order to learn the basics of latex. So far things have gone OK, as I have managed to fine the answers to most of my questions on various latex tutorial web pages and on this forum. However, I am having some trouble with a couple of cosmetic things.

I have attached a copy of my tex file (in txt format because this forum doesn't seem to allow uploading tex files) and also a copy of my pdf file to this post.

My trouble I am having is:
  1. The first line underneath figure 3.1 on page 9 is indented
  2. The first line underneath figure 3.2 on page 10 is indented
  3. Figure 3.3 on page 11 should be underneath the heading for section 3.2.2

These are only minor cosmetic things, but I would like to know why they have happened and change them if possible.

Thanks,

Ryan

Attachments

• report.pdf
    261.2 KB · Views: 292
  • report.txt
    16.2 KB · Views: 376
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ryan88!

I'm quite new to latex too. But I hope this can help.

For Problems # 1 and 2, try to write \noindent before the paragraph. That is,

"\noindent The number of unknown variables in this problem ..."

"\noindent For $j=1$ and $i=1$"

Unfortunately I can't provide solution to problem # 3 since I do not have the figures (files in that matter). But i think [ht] means here top. Try [h] instead of [ht].

I hope that helps.

Thanks dude! That worked great.

Those indented things are deemed starts of paragraphs so they should be indented. But the \noindent thing works around this feature as noted. There are other times this can occur, such as after a displaymath environment, and then it is normally because of an extra newline in the source.

In fact I'm just posting to say 'stop using displaymath'! No one uses that. There are two schools of thought as to what you should use. Some prefer

Code:
$$ code $$

and others

Code:
\[ code \]

as the standard.

Getting floats right is a notorious black art - good luck to you.

I guessed they were indented because it was recognizing them as new paragraphs. It's just never indent new paragraphs, i just leave a blank line and then start the new paragraph so it looked inconsistent.

Thanks for the tip about displaymath.

What is Latex formatting?

Latex formatting is a typesetting language used for creating professional-looking documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and engineering. It allows for precise and consistent formatting of equations, symbols, and text.

Why is Latex formatting important for Maths coursework?

Latex formatting is important for Maths coursework because it allows for the clear and accurate presentation of mathematical equations and symbols. It also makes it easier for readers to follow the logic and structure of the coursework.

Is Latex formatting difficult to learn?

Learning Latex formatting may take some time and practice, but it is not inherently difficult. Once you understand the basics, it becomes easier to use and can save you time in the long run.

What are some essential Latex commands for Maths coursework?

Some essential Latex commands for Maths coursework include creating equations using the \begin{equation} and \end{equation} tags, using the \frac{}{} command for fractions, and the \sqrt{} command for square roots.

Are there any resources available for learning Latex formatting?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning Latex formatting, including online tutorials, forums, and user guides. There are also templates and packages specifically designed for science and maths coursework formatting.