Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Latex help!

1. Apr 20, 2010 #1
    Hello,

This isn't a homework question, but I could not find a better place to put it. I'm writing a document (my resume, actually). I was trying to have in one spot an area left justified that says "2006-2007" that is contained in an invisible box exactly 1 inch wide then have a text box that explained my position and a description of what I did. However, I find that I cannot constrict the width of the box with all this text in it! It simply bleeds over the right margin, and I get an error that there is a bunch of "overfull" hboxes. The code looks like this:

\large\sc Industry Experience \rm\small
    \\ \parbox{1in}{2006-2007} \vbox{\textbf{Job role} \\ In an interdisciplinary team under supervisor z, did various things, such as a, b, and c. Was responsible for x and y.}

The problem with the above code is that the width of this line is 1in + the width of the text that's normally on the page. How do I fix this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Why are you writing your resume all in Latex?

4. Apr 21, 2010 #3
    I really like the typefacing in latex. I made a satisfactory one in word but I absolutely hate the way the fonts look.

5. Apr 22, 2010 #4
    Try this http://www.tedpavlic.com/post_resume_cv_latex_example.php" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook