Advise me on the best way to learn to use LatEX

In summary, LatEX help! could use more tutorials or practice, especially for those who are having difficulty.
AStaunton
LatEX help!

Could anyone advise me on the best way to learn to use LatEX (as it is used on the forum) as I am having quite a bit of difficulty with it!
Sorry for posting in the Math section but couldn't find a channel dedicated to this kind of troubleshooting.

Cheers

Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org

We have a subforum for computer (software included)-related issues. I know of at least two tuturials out there free on the internet (I cannot attach them to this post; they would weigh on the servers(s)). But it's not only the book, but practice is mandatory, too.

Or you can buy a software for which you needn't write the code, but just click on images of the objects you wish to write (about 8-9 years ago I used a version of Scientific WorkPlace).

So google <LaTeX tutorial> first.

In the 'Forum Feedback and Announcement' part of the 'PF Lounge' is a sticky post with some instructions:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386951" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

A good way to learn is to click the quote button every time you see a post that makes you think "I wonder how he did that". Don't forget that there's a bug that makes the wrong images appear in previews. The only workaround is to refresh and resend after each preview. You may also have to refresh after saving an edit. You can edit your posts for 11 hours and 40 minutes after posting. (If you make major edits after someone has replied, you should add a comment about it so that the next guy doesn't look like he replied to something you never said).

Last edited:

I entirely agree with Fredrik. From now on try to use latex in your posts, scooping up the latex code you need from other posts on this forum or by googling it. Note that you can see the code of a expression simply by clicking on it. Try: [tex]\frac{a+b}{c \cdot b}[/tex]. Don't copy-paste, but write it out yourself.

I never used a latex guide, and in my opinion you won't need it if you only want mathematical expressions on a forum. It is much more tedious to study from a tutorial, so let it come naturally by using it immediately instead. Learning new stuff will be much easier after a short while.

Write your code inside the tex brackets. All you need is [ tex] [ /tex] (without the whitespace) to get going. Use the preview button to prevent constant editing.

Last edited:

1. What is LatEX?

LatEX is a typesetting system commonly used in academia and scientific research to create high-quality documents, such as academic papers, reports, and books. It uses markup commands to format text, equations, and images in a consistent and professional manner.

2. Is it difficult to learn LatEX?

While LatEX may seem intimidating at first, it is not overly difficult to learn. It does require some time and effort to become proficient, but there are many online resources and tutorials available to help you get started.

3. Where can I find resources to learn LatEX?

There are several online resources available to help you learn LatEX, such as official documentation, user guides, tutorials, and forums. You can also find books and video tutorials that provide a step-by-step guide to using LatEX.

4. What is the best way to practice using LatEX?

The best way to practice using LatEX is to start with simple documents and gradually increase the complexity as you become more comfortable with the system. You can also try recreating documents you have previously created in other word processing programs to gain more experience.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using LatEX?

One common mistake when using LatEX is forgetting to properly close commands or brackets, which can cause errors in the document. It is also important to pay attention to the syntax and formatting rules, as they can affect the appearance of your document. It is helpful to use templates or sample documents as a reference when starting out.