LaTeX (hope no off topic here)

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter BarbaraDav
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Topic
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with displaying mathematical notation on a forum. They ask for the reason why the notation is not displayed when clicking on the "Preview post" button and whether there is a sandbox available for testing. The responder suggests a page on the forum with a lot of sandbox testing and provides two URLs for practicing mathematical notation. They also mention that sometimes refreshing the page can help with odd previews. The conversation ends with apologies for any language mistakes.
BarbaraDav
Dear Sir or Madam

I'm a novice here thus I'm probably going to ask a silly question
(in a bad English, moreover). Please, can you explain the reason
why I can't get the mathematical notation ( [tex]\alpha[/tex] , as
an example) displayed clicking on "Preview post" button ?

I have been looking around for a "sandbox" to try some tests but
none was found.

Warmest regards.

Barbara Da Vinci
Rome

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997&page=49

Try this page of this thread, I stumbled across it and it has a lot of sand box testing on the whole thread, plus there are a few programs there which will let you try it out.

[tex]\alpha[/tex]

Also I've noticed left clicking on any latex, brings up the code. Try that.

If it won't display then it might be a problem with your browser, could be anything, try refreshing the page, works for me, sometimes I end up with some really odd previews and or posts, but on hitting refresh it usually clears it up.

Thanks for your reply! In the page you pointed to, I see the equations and the their LaTeX code also, but, as far as I understand, there is no way to have a try there. Anyawy, supposing that standard LaTeX 2.09 "is spoken" in this forum, may be the easiset way is simply copy and paste from inside a visual editor such as Scientific Workplace. I'm goingo to check.
Best regards.

Barbara

P.S.
Sorry for my Engish.

BarbaraDav said:
Thanks for your reply! In the page you pointed to, I see the equations and the their LaTeX code also, but, as far as I understand, there is no way to have a try there. Anyawy, supposing that standard LaTeX 2.09 "is spoken" in this forum, may be the easiset way is simply copy and paste from inside a visual editor such as Scientific Workplace. I'm goingo to check.
Best regards.

Barbara

P.S.
Sorry for my Engish.

On the page I posted there are at least two sand box URL's you can use to practice. And don't worry my English isn't great either and I am English. :smile:

Try these:

http://at.org/~cola/tex2img/index.php

This one requires you to use $ tags either side of the Latex.

http://rogercortesi.com/eqn/index.php

This one let's you type in the bare code.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting system used for creating high-quality documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, computer science, and physics. It is based on the TeX typesetting language and is often used for creating technical or scientific documents.

2. How is LaTeX different from other word processing programs?

Unlike traditional word processing programs, LaTeX uses plain text files with markup commands to create documents. This allows for precise control over formatting and allows for the inclusion of complex mathematical equations and symbols.

3. Is LaTeX difficult to learn?

While there is a learning curve to understanding the markup commands and syntax of LaTeX, it is not necessarily difficult to learn. With practice and resources such as tutorials and templates, most users can become proficient in LaTeX relatively quickly.

4. What are the benefits of using LaTeX?

LaTeX offers many benefits for scientific and technical writing, including professional-looking typesetting, the ability to easily handle complex equations and symbols, and compatibility with various platforms and operating systems. It also allows for easy collaboration and version control with its plain text format.

5. Can LaTeX be used for non-technical documents?

While LaTeX is most commonly used for technical or scientific documents, it can also be used for non-technical documents such as reports, resumes, and even novels. However, it may require more time and effort to format non-technical documents in LaTeX compared to traditional word processing programs.