Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LaTeX, how can i?

1. Oct 20, 2007 #1
    how can i include paragraphs into my latex-coding w/o it looking ugly or me having to use dashed-lines to separate words

[tex]for example, this looks ugly!!![/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2007 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

\mbox
    [tex]\mbox{for example, this looks better!!!}[/tex]

or escape out of math mode(?)
    with \] and \[
    [tex]\]
    for example, this looks better!!!
    \[[/tex]

4. Oct 20, 2007 #3
    ah i love you! :D i have the latex pdf but it wasn't that clear about \mbox, sweet!

EDIT:

[tex]\mbox{Block A weighs 1.20N and block B weighs 3.60N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between all surfaces is 0.300N. Find the magnitude of the horizontal force F necessary to drag block B to the left at constant speed if A rests on B and moves with it in the 1st picture and if A is held at rest in the 2nd picture.}[/tex]

sigh :( is there one that allows me to type in more?

i'd like to fit this paragraph

Block A weighs 1.20N and block B weighs 3.60N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between all surfaces is 0.300N. Find the magnitude of the horizontal force F necessary to drag block B to the left at constant speed if A rests on B and moves with it in the 1st picture and if A is held at rest in the 2nd picture.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  5. Oct 20, 2007 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex]\]Block A weighs 1.20N and block B weighs 3.60N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between all surfaces is 0.300N. Find the magnitude of the horizontal force F necessary to drag block B to the left at constant speed if A rests on B and moves with it in the 1st picture and if A is held at rest in the 2nd picture.
    \[[/tex]

6. Oct 20, 2007 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex]
    \begin{minipage}{3in}\bf\color{red}
    Block A weighs 1.20N and block B weighs 3.60N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between all surfaces is 0.300N. Find the magnitude of the horizontal force F necessary to drag block B to the left at constant speed if A rests on B and moves with it in the 1st picture and if A is held at rest in the 2nd picture.
    \end{minipage}
    [/tex]

7. Oct 20, 2007 #6
  8. Dec 2, 2007 #7
    What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If you wish to add text inside formulas, you can do something like this:

\[ \mu_k N - F = 0 \text{ where } N = w_A + w_B \]

If you wish to have math within a paragraph, then you could do something like this:

First, set $\mu_k N - F = 0$, and then substitute $N= w_A + w_B$.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?