Latex Compatability with Ereaders

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Kawakaze
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the speaker recently purchased an ereader for studying, which they find to be a great device at a low cost. However, they have encountered issues with the slow loading time for PDFs and difficulty converting formulas to the epub format. They are seeking recommendations for a solution and currently prefer using paper books due to the slow loading time on the ereader.
Kawakaze
I just bought an ereader to help me study (on my bosses time =P ), fantastic little thing by the way, cheap and cheerful, no e-ink display so I have colour. Maybe I will consider a colour e-paper machine when they come out and can turn a page without giving bystanders seizures. For 80 quid I am pretty pleased, i already have 3000 books on the damn thing. =D

Only one problem, woorking with .pdfs is very, very slow, up to 10 seconds to load a page. Working with the epub format, the thing is pretty fast. There are all kinds of convertors for x to epub. But they all suck with formulae, sometimes its reasonable, but never perfect, and for the most part it chews them to shreds.

Anyone have a recommendation? I already emailed the supplier, tried conversion to html first, calibre also can't handle this. I have read that .epub is in fact modded html with a little compression, don't know if this is true but seeing as formula come out correct in a browser I am confused as to why my reader is having problems. I also read this is a common problem with pretty much all makes and models, non will do this off the shelf.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't found a good solution yet, which is why I stick to paper. 10 seconds for loading a PDF is unacceptable, and unless you want to get an iPad and buy into Apple's whole exclusionist practices it's not worth the hassle.

1. What is Latex compatibility with ereaders?

Latex is a typesetting language used for creating high-quality documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and engineering. Ereaders are electronic devices used for reading digital books. Latex compatibility with ereaders refers to the ability of ereaders to display and read documents created in Latex format.

2. Can all ereaders display Latex documents?

No, not all ereaders have the capability to display Latex documents. It depends on the software and hardware specifications of the ereader. Some ereaders may require additional software or apps to be able to display Latex documents properly.

3. What are the advantages of using Latex for ereaders?

Latex offers a more professional and aesthetically pleasing layout compared to traditional document formats such as PDF or Word. It also allows for better handling of mathematical equations and symbols, making it a preferred format for scientific and technical documents.

4. Are there any limitations when using Latex with ereaders?

One limitation is that not all ereaders support all the features of Latex, such as complex equations or custom fonts. Additionally, some ereaders may not be able to display the document exactly as it appears on a computer screen due to differences in screen size and resolution.

5. Is there a way to convert Latex documents for compatibility with all ereaders?

Yes, there are several conversion tools and software available that can convert Latex documents into formats that are compatible with most ereaders, such as EPUB or MOBI. However, some formatting may be lost in the conversion process, so it is recommended to test the document on different ereaders before publishing.