Mathematical Symbols in Insights: How to Use LaTeX for Beautiful Equations

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter stevendaryl
  • Start date
In summary, people typically use a TeX editor to render Latex math symbols and then use global search and substitution commands in a text editor to change them to $ to ## followed by #### to $$.
stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I was thinking about writing an Insights article, but when I went to the Dashboard, I didn't find an easy way to render LaTex. How do people typically do mathematics symbols in Insights?

Thanks,
Daryl

Likes scottdave and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a preview button on the right side bar. Excited for your Insight, let me know if you need more help!

The inline symbols are ##A## and the separated $$ A $$. I normally use a TeX editor (with $A$ and $$A$$) and then apply global search and substitute commands of a text editor to switch them ($ to ## followed by #### to $$). What is a bit annoying are the carriage returns which behave differently and some begin-end sections as itemize, which have to be manually adjusted. Also the sections and subsections have to be changed into headline sizes. I still like my method, as I'll have a pdf at the end, not only the Insight on PF.

To check formats, use the "Preview" button, which generates a rendered html version in a different tab of the browser.

Likes vanhees71 and Greg Bernhardt
For Insights articles, I'm seeing that inline Latex has quite a lot of spacing before and after each math expression -- I guess this is a Wordpress thing, since normal forum posts do not seem to have this issue. Here is an example of what I mean:
1598810400223.png

Are we pretty much resigned to this is the way it is, or is there something that can be done?

(I'm using Firefox 80.0, in case that is at all relevant.)

Thanks for any advice,

Mark

Likes Ibix
It looks like the default may be centered rather than left justified.

Redbelly98 said:
(I'm using Firefox 80.0, in case that is at all relevant.)
Anyone noticing this with another browser?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Same thing in Edge, ver. 85.0.564.41

Greg Bernhardt said:
I see the same thing in Safari and Brave.

Greg Bernhardt said:
This issue has been resolved
Looks good on Firefox - thanks.

Greg Bernhardt said:
This issue has been resolved
Thanks Greg!

Not a huge deal, but the issue still appears when doing a preview of an Insights article I am currently editing. But as long as it looks okay in final published articles, and I see that it does, that should be okay.

Thanks again,

Mark

p.s. I'm using Firefox

Likes vanhees71 and Greg Bernhardt
Redbelly98 said:
Not a huge deal, but the issue still appears when doing a preview of an Insights article I am currently editing.
p.s. I'm using Firefox
FYI, the inline-Latex issue is now fixed for preview mode as well.

(And I just submitted that Insights article I promised you, Greg.) :-)

• Love
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Redbelly98 said:
And I just submitted that Insights article I promised you, Greg.
I just read through your Insight and it not only reads great, it looks beautiful.

Thanks @Redbelly98 and @Greg Bernhardt.

Likes Redbelly98 and Greg Bernhardt

What is LaTeX and why is it used in Insights articles?

LaTeX is a typesetting language that is used to create professional-looking documents, particularly in the fields of science, mathematics, and engineering. It is used in Insights articles because it allows for precise and consistent formatting of equations, symbols, and other scientific notation.

Do I need to know how to code in order to use LaTeX in my Insights article?

No, you do not need to know how to code to use LaTeX. Many online resources provide templates and guides for using LaTeX in scientific writing. Additionally, some word processing programs have built-in support for LaTeX, making it easier for non-coders to use.

Can I use LaTeX in all sections of my Insights article?

Yes, you can use LaTeX in all sections of your Insights article, including the title, abstract, introduction, methods, results, discussion, and references. However, it is important to use it sparingly and only when necessary for equations or mathematical notation.

Are there any limitations to using LaTeX in Insights articles?

While LaTeX is a powerful tool for typesetting scientific documents, there are some limitations to using it in Insights articles. For example, it may not be suitable for creating complex diagrams or figures. Additionally, some publishers may have specific guidelines for using LaTeX in their articles.

Is there a specific format or style I should follow when using LaTeX in my Insights article?

It is recommended to follow a consistent style when using LaTeX in Insights articles. This includes using appropriate packages for formatting equations, symbols, and figures, as well as adhering to any publisher guidelines. It is also important to properly cite any sources used for LaTeX code or equations.