LaTeX in Mathematica Slideshow

In summary, To create a visually appealing presentation with embedded graphs in Mathematica, one can use Slideshow mode and export LaTeX files. However, typing LaTeX directly in Mathematica is not easy and the "TraditionalForm[]" function has limited formatting options. The best solution is to use MathJax, which supports LaTeX and can be used within Mathematica notebook cells. This allows for easier input of equations and correct formatting.
DrewD
I am trying to put together some short slideshows in Mathematica for educational purposes. I'm using Mathematica in Slideshow mode so that it will be a nice looking presentation that also has embedded graphs etc. I thought this would be easy since Mathematica exports LaTeX and imports full LaTeX files. It doesn't seem to allow me to type LaTeX directly in.

Mathematica does have a function "TraditionalForm[]" but this is terrible. There seem to be little or no formatting options and it chooses odd things like displaying "[itex]x[/itex]" in a different font when there is a [itex]\Delta[/itex] before it. It is also significantly harder to input a formula into this function than it is to type LaTeX.

I hope that I am just tired and missing something obvious, but multiple searches have not helped me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best solution is to use MathJax, which is an open source JavaScript display engine for mathematics. It supports LaTeX and MathML, and it can be used inside Mathematica notebook cells to display LaTeX equations. There are many tutorials available online that explain how to do this. This way, you can type the LaTeX directly into the notebook cell and the equations will be formatted correctly.

1. What is LaTeX in Mathematica Slideshow?

LaTeX in Mathematica Slideshow is a feature in Mathematica that allows users to include mathematical equations and symbols in their slideshow presentations using LaTeX syntax.

2. How do I enable LaTeX in Mathematica Slideshow?

To enable LaTeX in Mathematica Slideshow, go to the "Format" menu and select "Edit Stylesheet". Then, in the Stylesheet window, go to "Format" and select "Show Expression". Look for the "Cell" section and add the option "UseTeX" -> True to the cell options.

3. Can I use any LaTeX package in Mathematica Slideshow?

Yes, you can use any LaTeX package in Mathematica Slideshow as long as it is installed on your computer. You can load the package by using the \usepackage command in your LaTeX code.

4. How do I insert mathematical equations in Mathematica Slideshow?

To insert a mathematical equation in Mathematica Slideshow, use the Ctrl + 9 shortcut to enter an inline cell. Then, type your LaTeX code within the cell and press Ctrl + 0 to exit the cell. You can also use the Ctrl + Shift + 9 shortcut to enter a display formula cell.

5. Can I export my Mathematica Slideshow with LaTeX equations?

Yes, you can export your Mathematica Slideshow with LaTeX equations by selecting the "File" menu and choosing "Save As". In the "Save As" window, select "TeX" as the file type. This will export your slideshow as a LaTeX document with all the equations intact.