Math LaTeX in Open Office

1. OOoLatex Extension for Open Office

The extension can be installed in Open Office by way of Tools -> Extension Manager -> Add. You will also need the following dependencies to carry out the behind the scenes LaTeX makery.

Dependencies:
    MikText
    Ghostscript
    MinSYS

It is probably best to install all the programs to one directory and set up the paths in the extension as follows

[​IMG]

Once installed and configured there will be a new toolbar in the top left of the Open Office window. Press equation and input your LaTeX - there are a few options you can play about with if desired - when you're done hit Latex and some magic stuff will happen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't worry: it will look nice and smooth when exported to pdf.

2. jcsd
  3. cristo

cristo 8,411
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But, why? It's a lot easier, and looks a lot better, if you just write and compile a latex document?!

4. This was something I found helpful and thought others might want to know. I'm new to the whole LaTeX thing so I apologise if the topic is redundant.

5. I tried it but got an error that said BASIC runtime errroe. Any suggestion?

I had a problem configuring ghostscript

6. I am getting the same problem too.

"Basic runtime error. File not found"

The code "Shell(sShellCommand, 4, sShellArg, true)" is highlighted.

Any solution to this problem? I already have configured the 3 programs mentioned above.

7. PerennialII

PerennialII 1,102
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a nice extension --- occasionally have to work with OO (or those other office suite) documents and now at least the equations look decent. No redundancy there. A typical case when have to collaborate with uninformed people :wink: .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted