Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LaTeX in Open Office

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1
    OOoLatex Extension for Open Office

The extension can be installed in Open Office by way of Tools -> Extension Manager -> Add. You will also need the following dependencies to carry out the behind the scenes LaTeX makery.

It is probably best to install all the programs to one directory and set up the paths in the extension as follows

Once installed and configured there will be a new toolbar in the top left of the Open Office window. Press equation and input your LaTeX - there are a few options you can play about with if desired - when you're done hit Latex and some magic stuff will happen

Don't worry: it will look nice and smooth when exported to pdf.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But, why? It's a lot easier, and looks a lot better, if you just write and compile a latex document?!
  4. Nov 21, 2008 #3
    This was something I found helpful and thought others might want to know. I'm new to the whole LaTeX thing so I apologise if the topic is redundant.
  5. Dec 6, 2008 #4
    I tried it but got an error that said BASIC runtime errroe. Any suggestion?

I had a problem configuring ghostscript
  6. Jan 23, 2009 #5
    I am getting the same problem too.

"Basic runtime error. File not found"

The code "Shell(sShellCommand, 4, sShellArg, true)" is highlighted.

Any solution to this problem? I already have configured the 3 programs mentioned above.
  7. Jan 24, 2009 #6

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a nice extension --- occasionally have to work with OO (or those other office suite) documents and now at least the equations look decent. No redundancy there. A typical case when have to collaborate with uninformed people :wink: .
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted