Fixing Latex Bugs in Private Messages: Tips and Tricks

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter DrGreg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary: There's no easy way for him to include it without breaking backwards compatibility.Perhaps, thanks for the suggestion. When chroot designed the addon, he simply didn't include PM functionality. There's no easy way for him to include it without breaking backwards compatibility.
DrGreg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Having read about some of the Latex bugs reported in this forum, I've seen similar symptoms (images from my personal cache instead of the correct ones) when reading private messages from others. I can get the correct image to show by composing a reply to the message then doing a preview message. The correct images then show in the quoted original message. Not only that, but if I then go back to the original message, it now shows the correct images!

Can this bug be fixed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
I don't think we'll be supporting LaTeX in private messages.
This implies LaTeX in PMs is not supported as a matter of policy rather than as an oversight?

If that's true, it would be preferable if
  • there were a warning message on the "Send new private message screen" to say LaTeX is not supported
  • when previewing a PM before sending it, LaTeX were not supported there either -- this gives a false impression, what you see as author is not what the recipient gets
Of course, I'd much prefer it if LaTeX were supported in PMs, unless there's a really good reason not to...

DrGreg said:
This implies LaTeX in PMs is not supported as a matter of policy rather than as an oversight?

If that's true, it would be preferable if
  • there were a warning message on the "Send new private message screen" to say LaTeX is not supported
  • when previewing a PM before sending it, LaTeX were not supported there either -- this gives a false impression, what you see as author is not what the recipient gets
Of course, I'd much prefer it if LaTeX were supported in PMs, unless there's a really good reason not to...

Perhaps, thanks for the suggestion. When chroot designed the addon, he simply didn't include PM functionality.

1. How can I prevent my private messages from breaking in LaTeX?

To prevent your private messages from breaking in LaTeX, make sure to use proper syntax and escape any special characters using the backslash (\) before them.

2. My private message is not displaying properly in LaTeX, what should I do?

If your private message is not displaying properly in LaTeX, try checking for any missing parentheses, brackets, or other formatting errors. You can also try using a different LaTeX compiler or editor.

3. Can I use math equations in my private messages using LaTeX?

Yes, you can use math equations in your private messages using LaTeX. You can use the \( \) or \[ \] commands to enclose your math equations.

4. How do I add special characters like Greek letters in my private messages?

To add special characters like Greek letters in your private messages, you can use the \alpha, \beta, or other corresponding commands for the specific characters you need.

5. My private message looks different on different devices, how can I fix this?

If your private message looks different on different devices, it may be due to the default font settings on each device. You can try specifying a specific font in your LaTeX code to ensure consistency across devices.