Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complaint Latex: is it possible to install something to mirror microsoft word equation editor

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    It takes longer to write out a question and your working, than it does to even get a reply.. And that reply either never comes or is something along the lines of 'I can't tell what you've done'.

Latex is so harsh to use, is it possible to install something to mirror microsoft word equation editor 2007 - 2011 ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2

gb7nash

Homework Helper

Re: Latex

Before I learned latex, I thought the same way. However, just tinker around with it and you'll find that it's not that bad. There are plenty of tutorials to help you learn it.

4. Oct 17, 2011 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the text editor while making your post there should be a [itex]\Sigma[/itex] button. If you click that button, you will get a handy LaTeX reference library.

LaTeX just takes time and practice. Once you learn it it is much easier to use than Word's equation editor. It is also worth learning because LaTeX is the industry standard for generating equations.

5. Oct 17, 2011 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

PF's Latex editor is pretty close to how MS Equation works.

It's a good idea to use a text editor outside of PF, or copy and paste the post into a text editor to save it.

6. Oct 17, 2011 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Latex: is it possible to install something to mirror microsoft word equation edit

A program was available a few years ago called, TexAide. It might be unavailable now, but you can try a web search for it. TexAide was a mathematical typesetting program from which you could copy from the program and paste directly into a message on physicsforums. All you needed to do after that was supply the tags around the information (the [tex] and the [./.tex] tags but without the two dots).

7. Oct 17, 2011 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Re: Latex: is it possible to install something to mirror microsoft word equation edit

It was replaced with MathType which isn't free :( Epic sadface. I had saved the texaide install for the longest time just because I knew I didn't want to deal with paying for MathType

8. Oct 18, 2011 #7

Do you still have it? I want to become a more active contributing member of this forum, but Latex is firmly staunching my progress :( Of course I will learn, I just don't understand why it needs to be so complicated and at certain times 'clunky' to use :(

9. Oct 18, 2011 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

in practice. you can do nearly everything by using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box, and by clicking on the symbols (such as ∫) just to the right of the Reply box (not visible in this feedback forum, btw) :smile:

10. Oct 18, 2011 #9

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Some interesting programs are listed, including possible other mathematical typeset programs, here: http://homepage2.nifty.com/tonomu/soft/softe.html

After beginning to check that site a bit, it seems some TeX type programs shown are either for pay or not available. Still might be an interesting site to check.

11. Oct 23, 2011 #10

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't agree with this. It only takes a few minutes to get started with LaTeX, and if you spend an hour practicing, you can probably learn 95% of what you need. Most of the time when you don't know the right code, you can google it and find your answer almost immediately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook