Latex Equation Troubleshooting: Fixing the Fraction

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter scott1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving static friction coefficients and net force on two blocks. The solution involves calculating acceleration and time based on given values and setting initial velocity and position to zero.
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me! Cleared your cache yet?

I found this on archive. I just post for 3 seconds.
sorry...

[tex]
Hmm--I prefer to keep the static friction coefficients as \mu _{S,1} and \mu _{S,2} until the end, where
\left\{ \begin{gathered}
\mu _{S,1} = 0.60 \hfill \\
\mu _{S,2} = 0.20 \hfill \\
\end{gathered} \right\}
and F_{net,1} is the net force for the top block, F_{net,2} is the net force for the bottom block. Here's my solution:
\left\{ \begin{gathered}
F_{net,1} = a \cdot 4.0kg = F_T - 39N\mu _{S,1} \hfill \\
F_{net,2} = a \cdot 3.0kg = 39N\mu _{S,1} - 69N\mu _{S,2} \hfill \\
\end{gathered} \right\} \Rightarrow
a = \frac{{F_T - 39N\mu _{S,1} }}{{4.0kg}} \Rightarrow

3.0kg\frac{{F_T - 39N\mu _{S,1} }}{{4.0kg}} = 39N\mu _{S,1} - 69N\mu _{S,2} \Rightarrow
\frac{{3.0}}{{4.0}}\left( {F_T - 23N} \right) = 9.6N \Rightarrow F_T = 36N
\therefore a = \frac{{36N - 23N}}{{4.0kg}} = 3.3\frac{m}{{s^2 }}

*Because v_0 = 0 \frac{m}{s} , and I like to set x_0 = 0 m ,
\therefore v = \left( {3.3\frac{m}{{s^2 }}} \right)t \Rightarrow x = 5.0m = \left( {3.3\frac{m}{{s^2 }}} \right)\frac{{t^2 }}{2} \Rightarrow t = 1.7s
[/tex]

1. How do I fix a fraction that is not displaying properly in my Latex equation?

There could be a few reasons why a fraction is not displaying correctly in your Latex equation. One common issue is that the proper fraction formatting code, \frac, is missing or incorrectly used. Make sure to include this code and place the numerator and denominator inside the curly braces. Another potential issue could be incorrect placement of parentheses or brackets. Check to make sure they are properly placed around the fraction. Lastly, make sure that you have included the necessary packages for fractions in your Latex document.

2. Why is my fraction not centered within the equation?

If your fraction appears to be shifted to the left or right within the equation, it is likely due to an incorrect use of the & symbol. This symbol is used to align different parts of an equation and can cause the fraction to appear off-center if not used correctly. Make sure to use & before and after the fraction to ensure proper alignment.

3. How do I create a larger or smaller fraction in my equation?

To adjust the size of a fraction in your Latex equation, you can use the commands \dfrac for a larger fraction or \tfrac for a smaller fraction. These commands also allow you to use fractions within fractions, if needed. Additionally, you can use the \displaystyle command to increase the size of all fractions within your equation.

4. Why is my fraction not displaying in the correct font style?

If your fraction appears in a different font style than the rest of your equation, it could be due to the use of a different font package. Some font packages, such as mathpazo or mathptmx, may override the default font style for fractions. Make sure to check your font packages and adjust accordingly.

5. How do I create a fraction with multiple lines or levels?

If you need to create a fraction with multiple lines or levels, you can use the \cfrac command. This will create a fraction with a horizontal line and multiple levels for the numerator and denominator. You can also use the \genfrac command to create a fraction with customizable line and level sizes. Additionally, you can use the \over and \atop commands to create a fraction with a horizontal line and multiple levels, but these options may not provide as much customization.