Latex is now defaulting to non-italic

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter andrewkirk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    latex
In summary, Latex has started rendering alphabetic characters in formulas as non-italic, which is non-standard, and doesn't look as good.
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I've just noticed that, since I last used it (two weeks ago), Latex has started rendering alphabetic characters in formulas as non-italic, which is non-standard, and doesn't look as good.
See for example my post in this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
I see italics.

I'm not sure if this -- ##x^2\cos x## -- is what you're talking about, @andrewkirk, but x2 is rendered in italics, while cos x is not. The reason it's not rendered in italics is because of the backslash preceding cos.

I don't see anything different from how LaTeX has been rendering for a long time.

Well, something is strange. For me, in this expression: ##x^2 \cos x ~ cos ##, nothing is italic. Everything is normal font. My 1st cos has a backslash but the 2nd doesn't.

Edit: I'm using Firefox on Linux (openSUSE LEAP).

Last edited:
Could it be related to the browser or OS that is being used to view the latex? I checked some formulas I wrote a while back and they are showing up as all non-italic too, which suggests it's a phenomenon based on the situation at viewing time rather than when it was written.
I'm at work right now using Internet Explorer on Windows. I didn't notice anything strange this morning when I was posting using Firefox on Linux, so I'll check when I get home and report back.
There may be something incompatible about my employer's setup and the forum software, because the list of icons above an editing window never appears here either (other than the Sigma, for some reason). I have to either remember where they were from using it at home, or float the cursor over them for a popup to tell me what invisible icon lies beneath.

What OS and browser? Can you upload a screenshot? We did switch MathJax configs to help speed up processing, perhaps something got tripped up. I can work with Mathjax support.

A bit off-topic, but how does Mathjax handle fonts? I ask because I notice sometimes (especially on pages with lots of math that take a long time to process) that the math is first rendered in what appears like Times, before being displayed in Computer Modern.

DrClaude said:
but how does Mathjax handle fonts?
TeX is preferred, if not available STIX is used.

Greg Bernhardt said:
What OS and browser?
I am seeing the right behavior (italics) with firefox under windows and linux and with IE under windows.
I was seeing the wrong behavior with Safari on my old iPad a few hours ago.

Nugatory said:
I was seeing the wrong behavior with Safari on my old iPad a few hours ago.
But now it's ok or you just haven't used the iPad since then?

Italics with firefox under windows, linux and mac.
Italics with safari at a mac.
Italics with chrome under windows.

Tested with http://browsershots.org/ and my own devices, and everywhere ##cos~x## is italic.

Greg Bernhardt said:
But now it's ok or you just haven't used the iPad since then?
I've been away from the iPad, will check again when I'm with it in a few hours.

Here is a screenshot of what the above linked page looks like on IE 11 on Windows 7.
upload_2016-1-29_9-34-42.png

[What the post says is a silly mistake, by the way :oops:. But it's a lesson in humility for me to stick with what I originally linked, since this thread is about formatting, not content]
The 'cos' is supposed to be non-italic, because I prefaced it with a backslash in the Latex code. But the x would normally be italic, and isn't.
Also, the subscripts on summations are mis-aligned, as in this pic:
upload_2016-1-29_9-39-26.png

The latex code used for that was

||Ax||_{\infty} = max_i \left\vert \sum_{j} a_{ij} x_j\right\vert\leq max_i \sum_{j} |a_{ij} x_j|

I noticed that when I open a page that has latex on it, the following happens:
- First it shows the latex code
- Next it shows a rendering in all italic
- Last it Shows a rendering in all non-italic.
I don't know if that helps.

I forgot to check at home last night on Firefox+Linux. I'll make a note to check tonight.
EDIT: I'm at home now and have checked it on Firefox+Linux and it looks fine.

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-29_9-29-58.png
    upload_2016-1-29_9-29-58.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:

1. What does it mean when "Latex is now defaulting to non-italic"?

When Latex is defaulting to non-italic, it means that the default font style for text in Latex documents will now be non-italic instead of italic. This may affect the appearance of your document if you have used italic font for certain elements.

2. Why is Latex changing the default font style to non-italic?

The decision to change the default font style to non-italic is based on feedback from users and improvements in the overall readability of documents. It also aligns with the default font style used in other typesetting programs.

3. Will this change affect my existing Latex documents?

Yes, this change will affect all existing Latex documents. Any text that was previously set to italic will now appear in non-italic font. However, you can still manually change the font style for specific elements in your document.

4. Can I change the default font style back to italic?

Yes, you can change the default font style back to italic by adding the following command to your Latex document's preamble: \renewcommand{\familydefault}{\rmdefault}. This will change the default font style to italic, using the default font family.

5. Will this change affect how my document compiles?

No, this change will not affect how your document compiles. It only affects the default font style for text in your document. If you have any errors during compilation, they are most likely not related to this change.