1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LaTex is supposedly very good in producing lab reports

1. Sep 15, 2004 #1
    I have heard of something called LaTex which is supposedly very good in producing lab reports etc. I was told that it is available for free somewhere on the internet but after hours of looking I have been unsuccessful in finding it. I would like to know where I could download this free version of the software and how easy is it to use LaTex since I know very little about programming i.e. elementary Fortran and Visual Basic.

thanks,James

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2004 #2
  4. Sep 15, 2004 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

James,

Which OS are you using? Windows? If so, download a copy of MikTeX. Bear in mind that these programs have a fairly steep learning curve, so feel free to ask questions. You probably will have a hard time figuring it all out on your own.

- Warren

5. Sep 15, 2004 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

www.tug.org has a link to most of the commercial and non-commercial versions along with many packages to use as templates. I would recommend Kile if you are using Linux, best LateX Gui I have seen.

6. Sep 16, 2004 #5
    I; ve downloaded the miktex setup wizard and it has installed miktex on the system(Windows)

7. Sep 16, 2004 #6
    Hi

This is a totally different question regarding an application of LaTeX, but I thought I'd post it here...

Is anyone aware of a program which can convert small latex files to gif/jpg/png/other web-acceptable image formats? Actually somewhat like PF's LaTeX backend?

Thanks and cheers
    vivek

8. Sep 16, 2004 #7

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most any dvi viewer should do that. There's also dvi2ps and dvi2pdf on the linux side.

9. Sep 16, 2004 #8
    I have downloaded the miktex program as said above but how do I open latex? Do I need to install that package? There are about 5 different packages that start with latex. Do I install all? All I want is to be able to use it to prepare some reports. Any help would be really great since I am new to this .

10. Sep 16, 2004 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You'll probably need to run latex from a command line. Write up your LaTeX file with a text editor. Then open a DOS prompt, change into the directory where your file resides, and run "pdflatex <myfile.tex>" to turn your latex directly into a pdf file. If you need help writing a LaTeX file, let us know.

- Warren

11. Sep 16, 2004 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

PF uses a combination of three programs: latex, dvi2ps, and pstoimg. Latex converts input to dvi, dvi2ps converts that to postscript, and finally pstoimg renders the postscript to an image.

- Warren

12. Sep 16, 2004 #11
    When you say text editor????? Do you mean Word? or Notepad?? Those are the only two I know of !!!!! MikTex does not give me some default text editor nor does it seem to provide any Latex text editor so where should I get an editor if I don't already have one?

Then open a DOS prompt, change into the directory where your file resides, and run "pdflatex <myfile.tex>" .....I have XP so I guess it would have to be the Command Prompt right? The directory in which my file is would be C:/ right?

When you say run "pdflatex <myfile.tex>" do you mean Start ---> Run and enter the thing?

James

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  13. Sep 16, 2004 #12

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Notepad is a fine text editor. I would not use Word, because it may be a pain to make Word save in plain text format. Personally, I use an editor called TextPad: www.textpad.com

To open a command prompt, go to Start, hit Run, type "command" and hit enter.

I don't know where you save your files. Making a directory under C: is probably a fine idea.

In the command prompt, type "pdflatex myfile.tex", where myfile.tex is just a sample file name. Yours will probably be different.

- Warren

14. Sep 16, 2004 #13
    Thanks....trying it right now.

15. Sep 16, 2004 #14
    One thing....when I save it in notepad, it saves it as a .txt file.

16. Sep 16, 2004 #15

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think latex really cares about the endings of your filenames, but you might want to rename it to end in .tex just in case.

- Warren

17. Sep 16, 2004 #16
    ok It said I can't find the file myfile.tex...........I labelled it markus.tex

18. Sep 16, 2004 #17
    How do I get it to the C: prompt? I type C:\ but it says that it is not recpgnized as an internal or external command

19. Sep 16, 2004 #18

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Put your file, markus.tex, in a directory like c:\tex.

In the command prompt, type "cd c:\tex" then type "pdflatex markus.tex"

- Warren

20. Sep 16, 2004 #19
    Surely Windows must have a GUI implementation that hides this from the user? Why not use one of those if your not comfortable with working on a command-line?

21. Sep 16, 2004 #20

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dr-NiKoN,

I'm not so sure a GUI interface exists for Windows; nor am I sure that such a GUI would really be easier than just typing 'pdflatex'. If you know of one, please give us more information. If not, please don't assume there is one.

I suppose you could put the commands in a batch file, which you could then double-click.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?