Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bug Latex issues on old threads:

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1

rcgldr

Homework Helper

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

We have changed to mathjax in june. This causes problems with older threads since mathjax isn't so liberal with regards to delimiters.

For example,

[itex ] .... [/tex ]

was ok before, but not ok now. Also, mistakes in bracketing were ok before, but aren't ok in mathjax.

4. Sep 13, 2011 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And apparently mathjax is quite sensitive to carriage returns. That's apparently the problem with the post #4 in the first cited thread. Post #2 in that thread has problems with braces in some but not all of the math, maybe too many problems and mathjax just gave up?

One solution is to edit those posts as they are reported. However, since the ability to edit ancient posts is limited to mentors, I don't particularly like this solution. Another solution is to just let those old dogs lie.

5. Sep 13, 2011 #4

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Another broken command is the old [itex][/itex] command.

The 2d post in that thread has at least one mismatched tag ([itex][/tex]); the problems in the fourth most likely result from the way vBulletin breaks long lines.

6. Sep 13, 2011 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's not vBulletin. The problem is carriage returns manually inserted into the original source. (It doesn't take mentor powers to see the source text; just hit the quote button.)

7. Sep 13, 2011 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I did that, and could fix the code just by inserting a few extra spaces. It's definitely the 50 character bug.

Edit: I checked post #2 as well. The first mistake was an incorrect closing tag. I think all the others were missing a } symbol, usually at the end of a sqrt.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  8. Sep 14, 2011 #7

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Except in this case, someone posted a question about the same subject, so I just linked to the old threads rather than duplicate (and correct) the latex stuff. However if it would be preferred to fix and repost such items, I'll do that in the future.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook