What caused the Latex issues on old threads and how can they be fixed?

In summary, the latex lines in posts 2, 4, and 8 are not working correctly, and this might be caused by changes to mathjax.
rcgldr
Homework Helper
Physics news on Phys.org
We have changed to mathjax in june. This causes problems with older threads since mathjax isn't so liberal with regards to delimiters.

For example,

[itex ] ... [/tex ]

was ok before, but not ok now. Also, mistakes in bracketing were ok before, but aren't ok in mathjax.

And apparently mathjax is quite sensitive to carriage returns. That's apparently the problem with the post #4 in the first cited thread. Post #2 in that thread has problems with braces in some but not all of the math, maybe too many problems and mathjax just gave up?

One solution is to edit those posts as they are reported. However, since the ability to edit ancient posts is limited to mentors, I don't particularly like this solution. Another solution is to just let those old dogs lie.

Another broken command is the old [itex][/itex] command.

The 2d post in that thread has at least one mismatched tag ([itex][/tex]); the problems in the fourth most likely result from the way vBulletin breaks long lines.

jhae2.718 said:
the problems in the fourth most likely result from the way vBulletin breaks long lines.
It's not vBulletin. The problem is carriage returns manually inserted into the original source. (It doesn't take mentor powers to see the source text; just hit the quote button.)

D H said:
It's not vBulletin. The problem is carriage returns manually inserted into the original source. (It doesn't take mentor powers to see the source text; just hit the quote button.)
I did that, and could fix the code just by inserting a few extra spaces. It's definitely the 50 character bug.

Edit: I checked post #2 as well. The first mistake was an incorrect closing tag. I think all the others were missing a } symbol, usually at the end of a sqrt.

Last edited:
D H said:
Another solution is to just let those old dogs lie.
Except in this case, someone posted a question about the same subject, so I just linked to the old threads rather than duplicate (and correct) the latex stuff. However if it would be preferred to fix and repost such items, I'll do that in the future.

1. What causes latex issues on old threads?

Latex issues on old threads are typically caused by the breakdown of the latex material over time. Exposure to sunlight, heat, and moisture can accelerate this breakdown process.

2. How can I prevent latex issues on old threads?

The best way to prevent latex issues on old threads is to properly store and care for your clothing. Keep them in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures or moisture.

3. Can latex issues on old threads be fixed?

In some cases, minor latex issues on old threads can be fixed by using a latex repair kit or applying a latex sealant. However, if the damage is extensive, it may be difficult to fully repair the threads.

4. Are latex issues on old threads a health concern?

While latex allergies are a concern, the small amount of latex on old threads is unlikely to cause an allergic reaction. However, if you are sensitive to latex, it is best to avoid wearing or handling old threads with latex components.

5. Are there any alternatives to latex in clothing?

Yes, there are many alternatives to latex in clothing, such as cotton, polyester, and spandex. If you have a latex allergy, it is important to check the labels of clothing to ensure they do not contain any latex materials.