How to Create a Histogram in Latex: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the speaker is asking for assistance in creating a histogram in LaTeX with a large range of numbers. They have a computer program that can generate a list of numbers and their frequency, but they need help formatting this data to use in the histogram. They are advised to seek help from TeX/LaTeX experts or the newsgroup "comp.text.tex" for potential solutions or existing packages that can assist with this task.
CourtneyS

Homework Statement

Hi,
I need to create a histogram in Latex.
I know how to do this,
however,
I only know how to do it if I have a limited number of points so I want it so that I can get a
computer program to generate a list of numbers and save them to a file and then I can import this to Latex and use it this way in the Histogram.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{pst-plot}

\savedata{\data}[{{0.5,1},{1,7},{1.5,1},{2,3},{2.5,1},{3,2},{3.5,1}}]

\begin{document}

\psset{xunit = 2}
\begin{pspicture}(-0.23,-0.53)(4,7.5)
\listplot[
plotstyle = bar,
barwidth = 0.8,
linecolor = red,
fillstyle = solid,
fillcolor = blue!70
]{\data}
\psaxes[
Dx = 0.5,
xticksize = -4pt 0
]{->}(4,7.5)
\end{pspicture}

\end{document}This is what I am currently using to generate the histogram.
I have a computer program that stores the frequency in which a certain number occurs.
So, if my range in my program was from -10 to 10 it would tell me how many times in this range each number occurred for a certain number of n trials.

How should I get my program to output this data to a file so that I can use it in this histogram?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
CourtneyS said:

Homework Statement

Hi,
I need to create a histogram in Latex.
I know how to do this,
however,
I only know how to do it if I have a limited number of points so I want it so that I can get a
computer program to generate a list of numbers and save them to a file and then I can import this to Latex and use it this way in the Histogram.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{pst-plot}

\savedata{\data}[{{0.5,1},{1,7},{1.5,1},{2,3},{2.5,1},{3,2},{3.5,1}}]

\begin{document}

\psset{xunit = 2}
\begin{pspicture}(-0.23,-0.53)(4,7.5)
\listplot[
plotstyle = bar,
barwidth = 0.8,
linecolor = red,
fillstyle = solid,
fillcolor = blue!70
]{\data}
\psaxes[
Dx = 0.5,
xticksize = -4pt 0
]{->}(4,7.5)
\end{pspicture}

\end{document}This is what I am currently using to generate the histogram.
I have a computer program that stores the frequency in which a certain number occurs.
So, if my range in my program was from -10 to 10 it would tell me how many times in this range each number occurred for a certain number of n trials.

How should I get my program to output this data to a file so that I can use it in this histogram?
Thanks

I suggest you re-direct your question to the CTAN website, where the TeX/LaTeX experts lurk. There may even be some existing free packages that do what you want, and the Texperts could tell you where to find them.

Alternatively, go to the newsgroup "comp.text.tex" and see if the question has already been addressed.

Last edited:

1. How do I create a histogram in Latex?

To create a histogram in Latex, you will need to use the "tikzpicture" environment and the "histogram" library. You can then use the "addplot" command to plot your data points and adjust the appearance of your histogram using various options such as "bar width" and "ybar interval".

2. What data format is required for creating a histogram in Latex?

The data for your histogram must be provided in a tabular format, with one column for the data values and another column for the frequency or count of each value. This data can be entered manually or imported from a spreadsheet or data file.

3. How do I customize the appearance of my histogram in Latex?

The histogram can be customized using various options such as changing the color, width, and style of the bars, adding labels and titles, adjusting the axes and gridlines, and more. These options can be specified in the "addplot" command or by using the "axis" environment.

4. Can I add multiple histograms in one Latex document?

Yes, you can add multiple histograms in one Latex document by using the "addplot" command for each histogram and adjusting the position and appearance of each plot. You can also use the "legend" command to create a legend for the different histograms.

5. Are there any packages or templates available for creating histograms in Latex?

Yes, there are various packages and templates available that can make it easier to create histograms in Latex. Some popular options include "pgfplots", "tikz", and "pst-plot", which provide additional features and functionalities for creating high-quality histograms.