How can I write X bar to denote a vector outside of a Latex forum?

In summary, you can use \vec{stuff} to denote vectors, but you may want to use \bar{X} or \overline{X} to make them more visible.
solarblast
How do I write X bar with the bar over it to denote a vector?

I discovered that if I compose a Latex equation here that I can copy it into a Word file. Is this true of all the symbols? Same for sub and super scripts.

Is there a software tool that I can use to write Latex outside the realm of this forum?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what "other symbols" you mean. LaTeX code is standard "ascii" but things like control codes for Greek letters, etc. generally will not copy correctly. Also you should be aware that while LaTeX code is standard the HTML code introducing it is not. Here you can use "[ t e x ]" (without the spaces) or "[ i t e x ]", Others require "[ l a t e x ]" or use "[ t e x ]" only. I have even run across one forum that uses "\(" and "\)".

By "other symbols", I meant ones like delta, arrow, etc. Ones that I had not used. That is, would Word accept all the symbols in the table?

Can I write an alphabetic symbol with a bar over it?

I found WinEdit, which appears to work outside the Forum.

Use \vec{x} to make a vector quantity in LaTeX. I don't think this would work for copying into Word. If you want to make a vector in Word, and you don't want to use the built in Equation functionality, just use an arrow object and manually position it above the symbol in your equation.

\vec{x} didn't seem to work here when I went into advanced. Maybe it needs an end character? I haven't used the Word equation ability for probably 7 years, and it appears that it requires a bit of work to install it, although Word readily accepts a copy of the Latex here. In any case, I can use bold in Word to signify a vector.

I think there may be a tutorial for WinEdit, which would help.

Sometimes you won't see it immediately because the page doesn't load the script properly, but [tex]\vec{x}[/tex] does work on this forum.

Using LaTeX to produce a real document uses the same (but an expanded) syntax as is used here; the subtleties are related to the formatting of the document as a whole. There are plenty of introductory guides out there for how to produce, say, a PDF document using LaTeX. Note that WinEdt is just a graphical program that combines a text editor with buttons to do the heavy lifting; LaTeX documents can also be produced using only notepad, and the appropriate command-line utility to interpret the .tex file.

solarblast said:
How do I write X bar with the bar over it to denote a vector?

I discovered that if I compose a Latex equation here that I can copy it into a Word file. Is this true of all the symbols? Same for sub and super scripts.

Is there a software tool that I can use to write Latex outside the realm of this forum?

You can write latex quite nicely in Mathematica and to do vectors it's just \vec{stuff} which looks like;

[itex]\vec{stuff}[/itex]

In standard LaTeX you use \bar{X} [itex]\bar{X}[/itex] or \overline{X} [itex]\overline{X}[/itex].

As you can see, the \bar{X} is rather anemic and the \overline{X} is slightly too wide.

1. What is Latex outside Forum?

Latex outside Forum is the use of Latex, a typesetting language, outside of the traditional forum or platform specifically designed for Latex, such as Overleaf or ShareLaTeX. It allows for the creation of professional-looking documents with complex mathematical equations and symbols.

2. How can I use Latex outside Forum?

To use Latex outside Forum, you will need to have a Latex distribution installed on your computer, such as MikTex or TexLive. You can then write your Latex code in a text editor, such as Notepad or Texmaker, and compile it using the appropriate Latex compiler.

3. What is x bar in Latex?

X bar, also known as x̄, is a mathematical symbol used to represent the mean or average of a set of values. In Latex, x bar can be inserted using the command \bar{x} or \overline{x}. It is commonly used in statistics and data analysis.

4. How do I insert equations in Latex outside Forum?

To insert equations in Latex outside Forum, you can use the appropriate command, such as \begin{equation} and \end{equation} for numbered equations, or \[ and \] for unnumbered equations. You can also use the equation editor in your text editor, or use a visual editor such as LyX.

5. What are the advantages of using Latex outside Forum?

Using Latex outside Forum allows for more flexibility and control over the formatting and layout of your document. It also has a wide range of packages and features that can be used to create complex equations and diagrams. Additionally, Latex produces high-quality, professional-looking documents that are suitable for academic or scientific purposes.