Insert Latex PDF Figures: Easy Guide to Captions

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Pdf
In summary, to insert a pdf as a figure in latex and add a caption, you can use the \includegraphics command and the graphicx package. Make sure the pdf is in the same folder as your .tex file, or use the \graphicspath command to specify the path. You can also use the "grffile" package, but it may slow down compilation. Remember to remove the space between the backslash and "figure" in the code.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
Hi, I have some figures in a pdf form, and I'd like to pass them into latex as figures ->meaning I want to be able to use a caption.
I used the:
\usepackage{pdfpages}

but this inserts the pdf page as it is, and I can't "edit" it (by adding a caption).

Is there any possible way to do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean something like:
Code:
\usepackage{graphicx}
\ begin{figure}
\includegraphics[width=\textwidth]{file.pdf}
\caption{This is a caption}
\end{figure}
?

Likes ChrisVer
would that work?

As long as the pdf is in the same folder as your .tex file, then yes. If it isn't, you can use:
Code:
\graphicspath{ {path1}{path2}... }
in the preamble. This has some issues if the folder name has spaces though, so I prefer just putting the pdfs in the same folder as the .tex file and not bother with it. If you absolutely want that though, there's also the "grffile" package, but it can be slow (on my computer the compilation takes about 20x longer than without the package). Also, I forgot to mention, remove the space between the backslash and "figure", together it gave me some weird formatting on the site so I separated them.

Likes ChrisVer

1. How do I insert a Latex PDF figure into my document?

To insert a Latex PDF figure into your document, you will need to use the "\includegraphics" command and specify the file path and name of your figure. For example, if your figure is named "figure1.pdf" and is located in the same folder as your Latex document, you would use the command "\includegraphics{figure1.pdf}".

2. How do I add a caption to my Latex PDF figure?

To add a caption to your Latex PDF figure, you will need to use the "\caption" command after your figure is inserted. For example, if you want the caption to say "Figure 1: This is my figure", you would use the command "\caption{This is my figure}". You can also add a label to your figure using the "\label" command, which can be referenced later in your document.

3. Can I change the font size and style of my figure's caption?

Yes, you can change the font size and style of your figure's caption by using the "\captionsetup" command. This command allows you to specify the font size, style, and other formatting options for your caption. For example, to make the caption font italic and size 10pt, you would use the command "\captionsetup{font=it, size=10pt}".

4. How can I add multiple figures in one floating environment?

To add multiple figures in one floating environment, you can use the "\subfigure" command. This command allows you to include multiple figures within one figure environment, and you can also add individual captions and labels for each subfigure. For example, you can use the command "\subfigure{\includegraphics{figure1.pdf}\caption{Figure 1}} \subfigure{\includegraphics{figure2.pdf}\caption{Figure 2}}" to add two figures in one floating environment.

5. What is the purpose of the "figure*" environment in Latex?

The "figure*" environment in Latex is used to create a figure that spans across both columns in a two-column document. This is useful if you have a wide figure that cannot fit within one column. To use this environment, you will need to use the "\begin{figure*}" and "\end{figure*}" commands instead of the regular "\begin{figure}" and "\end{figure}" commands.