Solving LaTeX Preview Problem: Tips & Solutions

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter S.Daedalus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses a persistent issue with previewing LaTeX expressions, where changes made to equations do not register and old versions continue to be displayed. The solution suggested is to hit the reload button on the browser after previewing, which has been successful for one of the participants.
S.Daedalus
I've been having severe problems trying to get LaTeX expressions to look right using preview -- it seems that only the initial processing run sticks, any corrections made don't seem to register, at least until I post the thread (everything looked fine then). The issue is persistent across Firefox and Internet Explorer, however, both at least seem to get one independent run each -- so I can write something in FF, preview and correct, then copy and paste to IE, check again; however, any subsequent changes don't seem to stick. I have even logged out, closed FF, and logged in fresh, to no avail. Looking around, I saw the problem discussed https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=273819", but no solution was offered.

Basically, the problem is, if I write something, containing an equation, then preview it, see a mistake in the equation, correct it, and try to preview it again, instead of seeing the corrected version of the equation, the old one will continue to be displayed; and even weirder still, when I go and enter a new equation before the original first one, it seems as if the output is just 'moved up' one place: where the new first equation should display, the old equation one turns up, etc.

Of course, I can always post uncorrected and edit, or check every equation with the LaTeX preview, but both solutions seem somewhat tedious -- of course, if I have to live with it, it won't kill me. But is there some better way of dealing with this? Is anybody else experiencing similar troubles?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you just do the preview, and then hit the reload button your browser, you should see the recent changes. This has been a workable solution for me.

phyzguy said:
If you just do the preview, and then hit the reload button your browser, you should see the recent changes. This has been a workable solution for me.
I was under the impression I'd tried that, but maybe I did something wrong -- let's see:

[tex]e^{i\pi} + 1 = 0[/tex]

Well hot damn, it works! Don't know what I messed up previously... Thanks for the help, phyzguy!

What is LaTeX and why is it used in scientific writing?

LaTeX is a typesetting language used for creating professional and high-quality documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and engineering. It is preferred by scientists because it allows for precise and consistent formatting, complex mathematical equations, and easy referencing and labeling of figures and tables.

What is the "LaTeX Preview Problem" and how does it affect my writing?

The LaTeX Preview Problem refers to the issue of mathematical equations not properly displaying in the preview of a LaTeX document. This can be problematic for scientists as it makes it difficult to proofread and edit equations before finalizing the document. It can also cause errors in the final published version.

What are some common causes of the LaTeX Preview Problem?

The most common causes of the LaTeX Preview Problem include missing or incorrect packages, syntax errors in equations, and conflicts between different packages. Additionally, using certain symbols or fonts that are not supported by LaTeX can also cause issues.

How can I solve the LaTeX Preview Problem?

There are several tips and solutions that can help solve the LaTeX Preview Problem. These include ensuring all necessary packages are installed, checking for syntax errors in equations, and using the correct symbols and fonts. Additionally, clearing the cache and restarting the preview window can also help resolve the issue.

Are there any tools or resources that can assist with solving the LaTeX Preview Problem?

Yes, there are several tools and resources available that can help with solving the LaTeX Preview Problem. These include online forums and communities where users can seek help and advice from experienced LaTeX users, as well as online editors and debugging tools that can assist with identifying and resolving errors in equations.