LaTeX Code Distorsion in Forum Edit Mode

In summary, a user was experiencing distortions in their LaTeX code when they previewed it on the forum. Other users suggested refreshing the page to see the correct version and provided a link to a LaTeX preview tool. The original user also mentioned that the LaTeX code did not work on their preferred browser, Opera, but worked on Firefox. Another user provided a link to a previous discussion on this issue.
Bromio
Hi.

When I write my LaTeX code in this forum, it appears completely distorsionated when I click "Preview Changes" in edit mode. For example:
[tex]n^2(\rho) = n^2_0\left(1-\alpha^2\rho^2)\right)[/tex] is shown as a "z" if previously I wrote [tex]z[/tex]. In fact, I don't know if this post will be shown well.

What's happening?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Bromio! Welcome to PF! :smile:

For some reason, in preview it shows whatever's in your cache.

Just click "Refresh" (on your browser menu), and your LateX will appear. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Bromio! Welcome to PF! :smile:

For some reason, in preview it shows whatever's in your cache.

Just click "Refresh" (on your browser menu), and your LateX will appear. :wink:

Thank you, tiny-tim.

I was going mad.

Prepare and test your LaTeX here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/mathjax/preview.html

Last edited by a moderator:
That's useful for long equations (it avoids waiting for everyone else's posts to show up!), but if you want to check a mixture of LaTeX and ordinary typing, you do need the Refresh method. :wink:

btw, it would be useful if that page had links to LaTeX instruction pages o:)

Good point.

Borek said:
Prepare and test your LaTeX here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/mathjax/preview.html

Now changed to https://www.physicsforums.com/mathjax/test/preview.html" :smile:

What's the current tag for displaying mathjax formulas? tex ... /tex does not work for me anymore.

a-tom-ic said:
What's the current tag for displaying mathjax formulas? tex ... /tex does not work for me anymore.

Use tex and /tex when you want math to be displayed on a separate line, and use itex and /itex when you want math displayed within a line of text.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer. In this case i did everything correct but it does not display the formulas! But just shows the forum tag code.

EDIT:
I just tried firefox, and everything is fine. That means my browser of choice - Opera - does not display the mathjax formulas anymore. Ideas?
This however works in opera: https://www.physicsforums.com/mathjax/test/preview.html

What is LaTeX Code Distortion in Forum Edit Mode?

LaTeX Code Distortion in Forum Edit Mode refers to the formatting issues that occur when using LaTeX code in online forums or discussion boards. This can happen when the forum's formatting system does not support LaTeX or when the code is not properly formatted.

Why does LaTeX code get distorted in forum edit mode?

LaTeX code gets distorted in forum edit mode because not all online forums or discussion boards support LaTeX formatting. In addition, even if the forum supports LaTeX, the code may not be properly formatted, leading to display issues.

How can I prevent LaTeX code distortion in forum edit mode?

To prevent LaTeX code distortion in forum edit mode, make sure that the forum supports LaTeX formatting. Additionally, ensure that the code is properly formatted according to the forum's guidelines. If the forum does not support LaTeX, consider using a different formatting method.

What are some common signs of LaTeX code distortion in forum edit mode?

Common signs of LaTeX code distortion in forum edit mode include missing or misplaced symbols, incorrect spacing or alignment, and general text formatting issues. In some cases, the code may not display at all.

Can I fix LaTeX code distortion in forum edit mode?

In most cases, you can fix LaTeX code distortion in forum edit mode by properly formatting the code or using a different formatting method. However, if the forum does not support LaTeX, there may not be a way to fix the issue.