Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Latex question?

1. Dec 5, 2006 #1
    The Latex previewer on the Latex thread? It doesn't appear to work properly, I'll admit that I don't know much at all about latex but even when I cut and paste text from say the pdf or the forum directly into the box it comes up with a load of compuspeak and no image? Is there a reason for this so far I've tried [tex]x^2\sqrt{x}[\tex] and I get no joy, and a few even simpler equations but nothing but error script?

Btw I cut and pasted that from the pdf tutorial to make sure I had the format right? Am I beind stupid, is my formatting wrong, or can you not copy and paste latex code from the forum to the test program?

Ahhh, I tried adding $ signs instead of using the [tex][\tex] tags and it appeared to work; any reason why the tex tags don't work? As in the instructions it says to place tex tags before maths?

I've just noticed the math mode as well, maybe I should have played around first. I guess everyone just knows that you don't need to use the format [tex] tags unless your a chump :smile: but anyway live and learn...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2006 #2
    I'm no pro at it but when you write:
    [tex]x^2\sqrt{x}[/tex]
    Doesn't the slash need to be forward ( / ) not backwards ( \ )as yours seem to be in the closing tag?
    While I'm at it does anyone know the Latex to make a "NOT =" sign?

4. Dec 5, 2006 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex] \neq [/tex] \neq

5. Dec 5, 2006 #4
    Thanks,
    test on variations of not ; [tex] \neq [/tex] \neq

[tex] \geq [/tex] \geq
    [tex] \ngeq [/tex] \geq

[tex] \leq [/tex] \leq
    [tex] \nleq [/tex] \nleq

[tex]\simeq[/tex] \simeq
    ........ \nsimeq ..... is not valid

6. Dec 5, 2006 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex] \not\eq [/tex] \not\eq

[tex] \not\geq [/tex] \not\geq

[tex] \not\leq [/tex] \not\leq

[tex]\not\simeq[/tex] \not\simeq

[tex]\not 5[/tex] \not 5

7. Dec 6, 2006 #6
    It doesn't like tex tags forward slashed or backwards although point noted.(in the tutorial it's actually that way which is where I copied it from)

It also doesn't use \frac instead it uses the format 1 \over 2.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  8. Dec 6, 2006 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  9. Dec 7, 2006 #8
    Yeah that's the one, I didn't realise it had been highlighted already, the idea was to let people know there are a few issues with that previewer so job done. Thanks people for the advice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?