1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Latex question?

1. Dec 5, 2006 #1
    The Latex previewer on the Latex thread? It doesn't appear to work properly, I'll admit that I don't know much at all about latex but even when I cut and paste text from say the pdf or the forum directly into the box it comes up with a load of compuspeak and no image? Is there a reason for this so far I've tried [tex]x^2\sqrt{x}[\tex] and I get no joy, and a few even simpler equations but nothing but error script?

Btw I cut and pasted that from the pdf tutorial to make sure I had the format right? Am I beind stupid, is my formatting wrong, or can you not copy and paste latex code from the forum to the test program?

Ahhh, I tried adding $ signs instead of using the [tex][\tex] tags and it appeared to work; any reason why the tex tags don't work? As in the instructions it says to place tex tags before maths?

I've just noticed the math mode as well, maybe I should have played around first. I guess everyone just knows that you don't need to use the format [tex] tags unless your a chump :smile: but anyway live and learn...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2006 #2
    I'm no pro at it but when you write:
    [tex]x^2\sqrt{x}[/tex]
    Doesn't the slash need to be forward ( / ) not backwards ( \ )as yours seem to be in the closing tag?
    While I'm at it does anyone know the Latex to make a "NOT =" sign?

4. Dec 5, 2006 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex] \neq [/tex] \neq

5. Dec 5, 2006 #4
    Thanks,
    test on variations of not ; [tex] \neq [/tex] \neq

[tex] \geq [/tex] \geq
    [tex] \ngeq [/tex] \geq

[tex] \leq [/tex] \leq
    [tex] \nleq [/tex] \nleq

[tex]\simeq[/tex] \simeq
    ........ \nsimeq ..... is not valid

6. Dec 5, 2006 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex] \not\eq [/tex] \not\eq

[tex] \not\geq [/tex] \not\geq

[tex] \not\leq [/tex] \not\leq

[tex]\not\simeq[/tex] \not\simeq

[tex]\not 5[/tex] \not 5

7. Dec 6, 2006 #6
    It doesn't like tex tags forward slashed or backwards although point noted.(in the tutorial it's actually that way which is where I copied it from)

It also doesn't use \frac instead it uses the format 1 \over 2.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  8. Dec 6, 2006 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  9. Dec 7, 2006 #8
    Yeah that's the one, I didn't realise it had been highlighted already, the idea was to let people know there are a few issues with that previewer so job done. Thanks people for the advice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?