Solving Latex Bibliography Issues

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with the numbering of a bibliography when compiling with Texnic center. One person suggests that there may be an error in the document causing the issue. The other person shares their successful result using Texmaker IDE with miktex for windows.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] latex question

\begin{thebibliography}{5}

\bibitem{mazo}
Robert M. Mazo.
\emph{Brownian Motion: Fluctuations, Dynamics and Applications}.
Clarendon Press, Oxford,

\bibitem{schweitzer}
F. Schweitzer.
\emph{Brownian Agents and Active Particles}.
Springer, Berlin,

\end{thebibliography}

When I compile that with the texnic center, the numbering the bibliography is messed up. Does anyone know why?

Physics news on Phys.org

Attachments

• test1.jpg
    test1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 601
Last edited:
Sorry, I think that there a problem somewhere else in the document that is causing this since I deleted the rest of the document and the bibliography came out nicely.

ok. I hope you find the error!

1. What is a bibliography in Latex?

A bibliography in Latex is a list of sources used in a document, including books, articles, websites, and other materials. It is typically placed at the end of the document and provides readers with the necessary information to locate and verify the sources cited in the document.

2. How do I add a bibliography in Latex?

To add a bibliography in Latex, you first need to create a .bib file where you will enter the details of your sources in a specific format. Then, you need to use the \bibliography and \bibliographystyle commands in your Latex document, along with the name of your .bib file, to generate the bibliography section.

3. Why is my bibliography not showing up in my Latex document?

There could be several reasons why your bibliography is not showing up in your Latex document. Some common issues include not compiling your document with BibTex, not specifying the correct name of your .bib file, or not citing any sources in your document. Make sure to check these factors and troubleshoot accordingly.

4. How can I format my bibliography in a specific style?

To format your bibliography in a specific style, you need to use a corresponding .bst file. These files dictate the formatting rules for different citation styles, such as APA, MLA, or Chicago. You can find and download .bst files online or use a citation management tool to generate the desired style for your bibliography.

5. Can I add sources to my bibliography without citing them in my document?

Yes, you can add sources to your bibliography without citing them in your document. This is useful when you want to include additional resources that may be relevant to your topic but were not directly referenced in your document. You can manually add these sources to your .bib file and they will appear in your bibliography section when you compile your document.