Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LaTex question

1. Mar 16, 2005 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just discovered that LaTex is not unique to this forum. Wikipedia uses it too. Can I add LaTex to my forum? ( http://www.orbitsimulator.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl ) It's a YABB board, but I'd consider switching to phpbb if it only it can use LaTex.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2005 #2

honestrosewater

Gold Member

You can browse around the TeX Users Group until someone comes along who can tell you all about Tex and LaTex.

4. Mar 16, 2005 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1) This site uses vBulletin.

2) I hand-wrote the code that performs LaTeX image generation and inlining, based on the standard tools available in a UNIX TeX distribution (latex, dvi2ps, pstoimg, etc.). I have no idea how other bulletin boards work, and have no interest in getting into that racket.

3) Wikipedia uses essentially the same stuff.

- Warren

5. Mar 17, 2005 #4

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice job, chroot! I love using tex on this forum. Is there a way to cross stuff out?:

[tex]d=2 hours * 60\frac{miles}{hour}[/tex]
    [tex]d=120 miles[/tex]
    if I want to cross out hours to illustrate how illustrate how I arrived at miles. And is there a way to force the space to stay inbetween the 120 & miles (so it reads "120 miles" insteat of "120miles" ?

6. Mar 17, 2005 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Here's a thread containing many, many examples. You can click on any image to see the code (though I think some pop-up blockers interfere with it). Here's the quick intro. "\" adds a space. "\\" is supposed to add a line break, but has never worked for me. There's several ways to strikethrough a single character, but I couldn't find anything to strikethrough as much as you want.
    [tex]\not{hours} \not hours \ \neq \ \not= \ \\ \nexists \not \exists \ \not{\exists}[/tex]
    Oh, and you can also use "\mbox{type text here}":
    [tex]120 \ \mbox{miles}[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?