LaTex question

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just discovered that LaTex is not unique to this forum. Wikipedia uses it too. Can I add LaTex to my forum? ( http://www.orbitsimulator.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl ) It's a YABB board, but I'd consider switching to phpbb if it only it can use LaTex.

Answers and Replies

honestrosewater
Gold Member
You can browse around the TeX Users Group until someone comes along who can tell you all about Tex and LaTex.

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
1) This site uses vBulletin.

2) I hand-wrote the code that performs LaTeX image generation and inlining, based on the standard tools available in a UNIX TeX distribution (latex, dvi2ps, pstoimg, etc.). I have no idea how other bulletin boards work, and have no interest in getting into that racket.

3) Wikipedia uses essentially the same stuff.

- Warren

tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Nice job, chroot! I love using tex on this forum. Is there a way to cross stuff out?:

[tex]d=2 hours * 60\frac{miles}{hour}[/tex]
[tex]d=120 miles[/tex]
if I want to cross out hours to illustrate how illustrate how I arrived at miles. And is there a way to force the space to stay inbetween the 120 & miles (so it reads "120 miles" insteat of "120miles" ?

honestrosewater
Gold Member
Here's a thread containing many, many examples. You can click on any image to see the code (though I think some pop-up blockers interfere with it). Here's the quick intro. "\" adds a space. "\\" is supposed to add a line break, but has never worked for me. There's several ways to strikethrough a single character, but I couldn't find anything to strikethrough as much as you want.
[tex]\not{hours} \not hours \ \neq \ \not= \ \\ \nexists \not \exists \ \not{\exists}[/tex]
Oh, and you can also use "\mbox{type text here}":
[tex]120 \ \mbox{miles}[/tex]

Last edited: