1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LaTex question

1. Mar 16, 2005 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just discovered that LaTex is not unique to this forum. Wikipedia uses it too. Can I add LaTex to my forum? ( http://www.orbitsimulator.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl ) It's a YABB board, but I'd consider switching to phpbb if it only it can use LaTex.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2005 #2

honestrosewater

Gold Member

You can browse around the TeX Users Group until someone comes along who can tell you all about Tex and LaTex.

4. Mar 16, 2005 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1) This site uses vBulletin.

2) I hand-wrote the code that performs LaTeX image generation and inlining, based on the standard tools available in a UNIX TeX distribution (latex, dvi2ps, pstoimg, etc.). I have no idea how other bulletin boards work, and have no interest in getting into that racket.

3) Wikipedia uses essentially the same stuff.

- Warren

5. Mar 17, 2005 #4

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice job, chroot! I love using tex on this forum. Is there a way to cross stuff out?:

[tex]d=2 hours * 60\frac{miles}{hour}[/tex]
    [tex]d=120 miles[/tex]
    if I want to cross out hours to illustrate how illustrate how I arrived at miles. And is there a way to force the space to stay inbetween the 120 & miles (so it reads "120 miles" insteat of "120miles" ?

6. Mar 17, 2005 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Here's a thread containing many, many examples. You can click on any image to see the code (though I think some pop-up blockers interfere with it). Here's the quick intro. "\" adds a space. "\\" is supposed to add a line break, but has never worked for me. There's several ways to strikethrough a single character, but I couldn't find anything to strikethrough as much as you want.
    [tex]\not{hours} \not hours \ \neq \ \not= \ \\ \nexists \not \exists \ \not{\exists}[/tex]
    Oh, and you can also use "\mbox{type text here}":
    [tex]120 \ \mbox{miles}[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?