Add LaTeX to My Forum: YABB vs. phpbb

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum Latex
In summary, LaTex is not unique to this forum as Wikipedia also uses it. The user is interested in adding LaTex to their YABB board and possibly switching to phpbb. They are directed to browse the TeX Users Group for more information. Additionally, the user chroot has hand-written code for LaTeX image generation and inlining, similar to what is used on Wikipedia. They also provide examples and tips for using LaTeX on the forum.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just discovered that LaTex is not unique to this forum. Wikipedia uses it too. Can I add LaTex to my forum? ( http://www.orbitsimulator.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl ) It's a YABB board, but I'd consider switching to phpbb if it only it can use LaTex.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can browse around the TeX Users Group until someone comes along who can tell you all about Tex and LaTex.

1) This site uses vBulletin.

2) I hand-wrote the code that performs LaTeX image generation and inlining, based on the standard tools available in a UNIX TeX distribution (latex, dvi2ps, pstoimg, etc.). I have no idea how other bulletin boards work, and have no interest in getting into that racket.

3) Wikipedia uses essentially the same stuff.

- Warren

Nice job, chroot! I love using tex on this forum. Is there a way to cross stuff out?:

[tex]d=2 hours * 60\frac{miles}{hour}[/tex]
[tex]d=120 miles[/tex]
if I want to cross out hours to illustrate how illustrate how I arrived at miles. And is there a way to force the space to stay inbetween the 120 & miles (so it reads "120 miles" insteat of "120miles" ?

Here's a thread containing many, many examples. You can click on any image to see the code (though I think some pop-up blockers interfere with it). Here's the quick intro. "\" adds a space. "\\" is supposed to add a line break, but has never worked for me. There's several ways to strikethrough a single character, but I couldn't find anything to strikethrough as much as you want.
[tex]\not{hours} \not hours \ \neq \ \not= \ \\ \nexists \not \exists \ \not{\exists}[/tex]
Oh, and you can also use "\mbox{type text here}":
[tex]120 \ \mbox{miles}[/tex]

Last edited:

What is the difference between YABB and phpbb?

YABB (Yet Another Bulletin Board) and phpbb are both open-source forum software programs. The main difference between them is the programming language they are built on. YABB is written in Perl while phpbb is written in PHP.

Which forum software is more user-friendly for adding LaTeX?

Both YABB and phpbb have plugins or modifications available that allow for adding LaTeX to posts. However, phpbb has a larger community and more resources available for adding this feature, making it the more user-friendly option for adding LaTeX to a forum.

Do I need coding experience to add LaTeX to my forum?

If you are using phpbb, you do not necessarily need coding experience to add LaTeX. There are many step-by-step guides and tutorials available that can help you install and configure the necessary plugins or modifications. However, if you are using YABB, some coding experience may be required as there are fewer resources available for adding LaTeX to this forum software.

Which forum software has better support for LaTeX?

In terms of support for LaTeX, phpbb is the better option. It has a larger community and more resources available for adding and troubleshooting LaTeX on the forum. YABB, on the other hand, may have limited support for this feature.

Is there a cost associated with adding LaTeX to my forum?

Both YABB and phpbb are open-source, meaning they are free to use and modify. However, some plugins or modifications for adding LaTeX may require a small fee. It is important to research and read reviews before purchasing any add-ons for your forum.