Finding Latex Instructions: An Unnecessary Challenge

In summary: Apparently this is still the best way to do it, even though it's not the quickest.In summary, the author found a better way to do the calculation, but it's still faster to use the statement.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Why is it so hard to find the latex instructions when I need them?

I have to go to FAQ and do a search.

But what's really weird is that the actual link to the post isn't even live. I have to select and copy it, then paste it into my address bar.

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Why is it so hard to find the latex instructions when I need them?

I have to go to FAQ and do a search.

But what's really weird is that the actual link to the post isn't even live. I have to select and copy it, then paste it into my address bar.
There exists a dowloadable reference book called "The not so short introduction to LaTeX".
You might try to find that one.
If I've done right, here's a link to the pdf-file:
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf

NOTE:
The symbol reference list starts on page 60.

Last edited:
Click on any [tex]\LaTeX \mbox{ image}[/tex] to see the link to PF's instructions.

Last edited:
MmmOK...

Uh, I didn't expect the whole 47 volume leather bound collectable set... (that requires Acrobat and, like 20 seconds of download time) - just the quick notes in the FAQ is all I would have expected for 99.9% of normal use.

But Ok, thanks.

Frankly, no. All I ever really need for most applications is this: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997
The list in the middle of chroot's post covers my needs.

(What's weird is how I have to find it now.
An FAQ search for 'latex' gives https://www.physicsforums.com/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=latex&match=all&titlesonly=0 [Broken]:
"Use our latex system, please refer to this thread on how to use it: http: //physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997"
But that URL is not a link; it's just text. I now have to select and copy that URL, then paste it into the address bar.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, now it's in this thread too. :biggrin:

[tex] this is cool![/tex]

I usually look at the sticky under general physics.

[tex] \int \oint hmmm... \sqrt hahaha \oint \int [/tex]

1. What is the purpose of "Finding Latex Instructions: An Unnecessary Challenge"?

The purpose of "Finding Latex Instructions: An Unnecessary Challenge" is to highlight the difficulties and frustrations that scientists face when searching for instructions on using the software LaTeX.

2. Why is finding LaTeX instructions considered an unnecessary challenge?

LaTeX is a popular software used by scientists for writing and formatting documents, but it is not as user-friendly as other word processing programs. This makes it challenging for scientists to find clear and concise instructions on how to use it effectively.

3. How does the difficulty in finding LaTeX instructions affect scientific research?

The difficulty in finding LaTeX instructions can significantly slow down the research process and hinder productivity. It can also lead to errors and inconsistencies in document formatting, which can be time-consuming to correct.

4. Are there any resources available to help scientists with finding LaTeX instructions?

Yes, there are various online resources, such as tutorials, forums, and user guides, that can provide guidance on using LaTeX. Additionally, many universities and research institutions offer workshops and training sessions on using LaTeX.

5. Is it worth learning how to use LaTeX despite the challenges in finding instructions?

Yes, learning how to use LaTeX can greatly benefit scientists in the long run. It is a powerful software that offers advanced features for document formatting and is widely used in the scientific community. With some patience and persistence, the challenges of finding instructions can be overcome.