Posting Latex Without Source Code

In summary, the LaTeX code that is used to generate the image is not displayed properly in some browsers.
dx
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Whenever I use latex in my posts, I get the source part of it too. I believe we can post without that part appearing in the post. How?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give an example ?

I don't see a problem, for instance, with this post :

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=819161&postcount=4

dx said:
dx, dy or dz or any other infinitesimals are not finite quantities. You cannot assign a definite value to them and you cannot compare their sizes. For physics and engineering, you can think of them as 'sufficiently small' quantities (so that you get the accuracy you desire, or you can pass to the limit in an ideal situation). This is of course, not mathematically rigorous. Take the pythagorean theorem for example. On a curved 2 dimensional surface, [tex] ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 [/tex] describes the geometry of the surface at a 'sufficiently small' area. Hm.. actually, I am kinda confused.. the above equation seems to imply that [tex] ds^2 [/tex] is somehow larger than the other two.. but that would be meaning less, ds is an infinitesimal length, just like the other two..help..

You don't see it? maybe its a browser problem.. anyway, here's what I see before the equation :

"The following code was used to generate this LaTeX image:

[tex] ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 [/tex]

LaTeX code reference');">:"

It kinda messes up the format..

I only see the "following code" part when you actually click on the latex picture.

dx said:
maybe its a browser problem..

Which leads to the obvious question: which browser are you using, and on what platform?

im using IE 6 on windows XP. btw, I tried it on firefox and it works fine there.

Perhaps it's a Javascript problem. When you click the LaTeX image, do you get a popup window showing the code?

dx, you may have JavaScript disabled, or configured in some other non-standard way. Do you have any problems with another sites?

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "Posting Latex Without Source Code"?

"Posting Latex Without Source Code" refers to the practice of sharing mathematical or scientific equations written in Latex format without providing the source code or code used to generate the equations. This is often seen in online forums or social media platforms.

2. Why do people post Latex without source code?

People may post Latex without source code as a way to quickly share complex equations or formulas without having to write them out manually. It also allows for a more organized and visually appealing presentation of mathematical or scientific concepts.

3. Is it acceptable to post Latex without source code?

While it is not necessarily unacceptable to post Latex without source code, it is considered good practice to include the source code as well. This allows others to verify the equations or make edits if needed.

4. Can I use Latex without knowing how to code?

Yes, you can use Latex without knowing how to code. There are many online tools and editors available that allow you to input equations in Latex format without needing to know the coding language. However, a basic understanding of Latex syntax can be helpful in creating more complex equations.

5. Are there any advantages to posting Latex without source code?

One advantage of posting Latex without source code is that it allows for a more visually appealing presentation of equations. It also saves time and effort in writing out complex equations manually. However, including source code can be beneficial for collaboration and verification purposes.