How do I properly use LaTeX syntax for multiple lines and spacing in my post?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter zyrolasting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with using tex tags on the PF forum. The user is unable to add new lines and spacing to their posts, even after trying various methods such as \\, \\[10], \newline, and \linebreak. They also mention a bug that causes the wrong image to show up in previews. Another user suggests using the multiline AMS environments or the gather environment as a workaround. The discussion also provides a link for more information on using multiline LaTeX.
zyrolasting
Hello. I'm new to both PF and LaTeX. I searched the board on this, but could not see a thread that solves my problem.

I have several tex tags to use, but it looks like there can only be so many before the board gives off a database error. After combining the content of tex tags, the text got mushed together.

After some searching, I used both \\ and \\[10] to try and add some new lines and spacing. Neither had any effect on my post previews. (Although they DID work on an online LaTeX editor)

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks.

EDIT: Found that \newline and \linebreak also do NOT work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a bug that makes the wrong image show up in previews. (There are lots of threads about it). The workaround is to refresh and resend after each preview.

Oh, I actually knew about that from looking through the board, and have successfully updated my previews before. However, newlines are still not included.

Are \newline, \linebreak and \\ supposed to work, or is there something configured so that I need to use something else?

The below code uses all three. At the time of this writing, I am obviously looking at a preview. Even after refreshing, none of them work.

EDIT: Even the forum view doesn't help. Incompatibility with Chrome? Do you guys see the line break?

[tex]V = n
\\[10]
\newline
\linebreak
V = 23[/tex]

Nope. And this is definitely a server issue, not a browser problem. Since the LaTeX is rendered as an image, it has to appear the same in all browsers.

You can use the multiline AMS environments, like so:
Code:
\begin{align*}V&=n \\ V&=23\end{align*}
[tex]\begin{align*}V&=n \\ V&=23\end{align*}[/tex]
There's also the gather environment, if you don't require specific alignment between the equations, and some others.

Thank you very much, diazona. I appreciate your help!

1. What is LaTeX syntax?

LaTeX is a typesetting language used for creating high-quality technical and scientific documents. It is based on the TeX typesetting system and uses a markup language to format text.

2. What is the purpose of \\[*] in LaTeX syntax?

The \\[*] command in LaTeX is used to end a line and start a new one. It is commonly used for creating new paragraphs, line breaks, or for inserting blank space.

3. How do I insert mathematical equations using LaTeX syntax?

To insert mathematical equations, you can use the \begin{equation} and \end{equation} commands. This will create a numbered equation. Alternatively, you can use the \begin{align} and \end{align} commands for multiple equations aligned at a specific point.

4. Can I customize the appearance of my document using LaTeX syntax?

Yes, LaTeX allows for extensive customization of document formatting and layout using different packages and commands. You can change fonts, font sizes, margins, headings, and more to suit your needs.

5. Is there a learning curve for using LaTeX syntax?

Yes, there is a learning curve for using LaTeX syntax as it is a markup language and requires some understanding of its commands and structure. However, there are many resources available online, and with practice, it can become easier to use.