How do I remove the space before Depth... in my LaTex table?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Mapes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses a Quick LaTex question about a code that produces a space before "Depth..." in the second row of a table. The solution is to remove the carriage space after \rule{0pt}{3ex}.
Mapes
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi folks,

Quick LaTex question: the following code produces a space before "Depth..." in the second row. How on Earth do I make it go away?

\begin{table}
\centering
\caption{Possible definitions of critical depth or thickness for traction-exerting cells on 2-D substrates.}
\vspace{0.05 in}
\begin{footnotesize}
\begin{raggedright}
\begin{tabular}{|p{4in} p{2in} |}
\hline \rule{0pt}{3ex}
& Effect of increasing \\
Definition & substrate stiffness \\[3pt]
\hline \rule{0pt}{3ex}
Depth at which a certain strain $\epsilon_{xx}$ exists [Krishnan et al] & Decrease $\left(\propto\!\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}\right)$ \\[3pt]
Coating thickness that attenuates adhesion site displacement by a certain percentage (characterized by $U_1$)& Independent $\left(\propto a\right)$ \\[3pt]
Coating thickness that attenuates adhesion site distortion by a certain percentage (characterized by $U_2$)& Independent $\left(\propto a\right)$ \\[3pt]
Coating thickness that attenuates cell traction force microscopy measurements by a certain percentage & Independent $\left(\propto r\right)$\\[3pt]
Coating thickness that maintains a certain cell behavior & Increase\\[3pt]
\hline
\end{tabular}
\label{table:definitions}
\end{raggedright}
\end{footnotesize}
\end{table}

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just take out \rule{0pt}{3ex} before it.

No doubt, this removes the annoying space. But it also removes a most desirable horizontal line and the associated leading under it.

Ugh, I knew I would figure it out as soon as I posted. Simply removing the carriage space after \rule{0pt}{3ex} removes the problem. The corrected code is below. CRGreathouse, thanks for your suggestion.

\begin{table}
\centering
\caption{Possible definitions of critical depth or thickness for traction-exerting cells on 2-D substrates.}
\vspace{0.05 in}
\begin{footnotesize}
\begin{raggedright}
\begin{tabular}{|p{4in} p{2in} |}
\hline \rule{0pt}{3ex}
& Effect of increasing \\
Definition & substrate stiffness \\[3pt]
\hline \rule{0pt}{3ex}Depth at which a certain strain $\epsilon_{xx}$ exists [Krishnan et al] & Decrease $\left(\propto\!\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}\right)$ \\[3pt]
Coating thickness that attenuates adhesion site displacement by a certain percentage (characterized by $U_1$)& Independent $\left(\propto a\right)$ \\[3pt]
Coating thickness that attenuates adhesion site distortion by a certain percentage (characterized by $U_2$)& Independent $\left(\propto a\right)$ \\[3pt]
Coating thickness that attenuates cell traction force microscopy measurements by a certain percentage & Independent $\left(\propto r\right)$\\[3pt]
Coating thickness that maintains a certain cell behavior & Increase\\[3pt]
\hline
\end{tabular}
\label{table:definitions}
\end{raggedright}
\end{footnotesize}
\end{table}

1. What is the purpose of the LaTex tabular environment?

The LaTex tabular environment is designed to create tables and matrices in a document. It allows for precise formatting and alignment of text and data in rows and columns.

2. How do I create a table in the LaTex tabular environment?

To create a table, you need to use the \begin{tabular} and \end{tabular} commands. Within these commands, you can specify the alignment of columns, add borders, and input data into the cells.

3. How can I add headers and footers to my table in the LaTex tabular environment?

You can add headers and footers to your table by using the \hline command to create a horizontal line between the header, body, and footer sections of the table. You can also use the \multicolumn command to merge columns and create a header or footer that spans multiple columns.

4. Can I customize the appearance of my table in the LaTex tabular environment?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your table by using various commands such as \setlength to adjust the spacing between rows and columns, \rowcolor to add color to specific rows, and \arrayrulecolor to change the color of the table borders.

5. Can I insert images or symbols into my table in the LaTex tabular environment?

Yes, you can insert images or symbols into your table by using the \includegraphics command for images and \symbol command for symbols. These can be placed in individual cells or merged cells using the \multirow and \multicolumn commands.