Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Latex, tex, and miktex

1. Jun 25, 2008 #1
    I downloaded the TeXnic center and miktex and I have used them to produce very beautiful mathematical typesetting but I have never really understood how they are related. Can someone please explain what is the difference between latex and miktex, how they work together, whether I really need both, etc perhaps with an analogy to some other common software?

Also, I have read several answers to this questions and I have never understood them at all: What is the difference between latex and tex?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2008 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Miktex is just an implementation of Latex that runs on Windows.
    Latex= The name of the "language"
    Miktex=One of the software packages you can use to produce documents using that language.

Latex is actually a specific "dialect" of TeX (the "La" comes from the name of the guy who developed it, I think his name is Lambert(?)) which is why you occasionally see references to other type of TeX (although they are rare nowadays)

4. Jun 26, 2008 #3
    OK. Thanks that was helpful. I realized I kind of botched my question. It should have been:

Can someone please explain what is the difference between texnic center and miktex, how they work together, whether I really need both, etc perhaps with an analogy to some other common software?

5. Jun 26, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Texnic Center is the composer, which is were you write the mark-up code. Another example of a composer would be Notepad for creating HTML documents.

MikeTex compiles the latex mark-up and generates a document.

And yes, you need both a composer and a compiler to generate a latex document. However, you needn't use Texnic Center: you can write latex mark-up in Notepad or any other text editor.

6. Jun 26, 2008 #5
    Miktex is a collection of TeX and LaTeX software which is intended to be used on computers running Windows.

TeXnicCenter is, essentially, a text editor. All TeX/LaTeX documents are, at heart, simply text files so when one wants to write TeX/LaTeX documents one needs some sort of text editor. One could, for example, use something like notepad.exe to do this. However, whereas notepad.exe is designed to be a general purpose -- and quite feature-poor -- text editor, TeXnicCenter is designed specifically for the purpose of writing TeX/LaTeX documents. As such, it contains things that are particularly useful in this context: syntax highlighting, spellchecking, convenient shortcuts to convert the raw text into DVI, PS, or PDF files, and a little window to notify you of any errors in your TeX source file.

7. Jun 26, 2008 #6
    I see. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?