Latex vs Hand Writing: Can Computer Notes Aid in Memory Recall?

In summary, most people believe that hand-written notes lead to better retention of information, while some people believe that taking notes on a computer is just as effective.
Bashyboy
Hello everyone,

I take notes strictly with Latex, as I am able to get more done in a day by not taking hand written notes; and lately I have been contemplating using latex to write up solutions to problems for the same reason, that I might get more done in a day. My concern is, however, that it is believed that the process of writing aids in the remembrance of things. I am not sure if I believe this entirely, though. I am curious to know others sentiments regarding this. As I said, ever since I began college I have been taking notes on my computer, and heretofore I have been doing well in college and still remember, for the most part, things that I have taken notes of.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure there is any research looking at the difference in retention between hand-written notes and keyboarding. But if you can use it taking notes with no problems, that's a good sign that it works for you.

You must be super fast at it!

Likes 1 person
Most of the research of this suggests that hand writing leads to better retention. This is due to the way the brain processes information. You could always write and type.

Likes 1 person
Thank you two for your opinions. I suppose I will try writing up my solutions purely with Latex and see how I fare in terms of memorization.

What type of notes are you taking, exactly?

I can't see how this is an effective or efficient way to take notes if this is a physics class. Don't you have to make frequent sketches, and write complicated math equations? My notes, especially in E&M classes, are filled with sketches, arrows, lines, annotations, comments, and even multicolored inks just to produce clear and useful notes!

This isn't a beauty contest, nor does it require that level of sophistication. All it requires is that the notes are clear, and useful to YOU. But it also should be inefficient, i.e. you should have to spend more time than you should to produce it. I don't see how writing your notes in LaTex can accomplish this.

Zz.

I'm sorry for the misconception, I don't take notes with Latex during lectures. When I use latex to take note is when I read my textbooks, or when I write up my homework. Also, another reason why I take notes on my computer is that, when I take hand notes, the papers pile up and I end up never looking at them anyways.

Yes, I noticed that writing even rewriting a textbook that I am reading I remember more of the details than if I am just reading in my head.

Underlining, highlighting, and writing equations in the margin of textbooks helped me in remembering. And "re-remembering" years later. :approve:

Do you use latex or other latex-like tool ? such as Scientific Workplace( you can see the published format when you are writing, like MS Word ), which is more esay to use.

freshman123, I use TeXstudio, and I am rather pleased with it.

I think there's no thing as an answer to your dilemma, for some people it might work handwriting notes, for some others could be better to do a parallel process of the information to focussing harder (like write it on a text processor). I take no notes, I just solve problems and leave my memory to do the rest, works for me, and for me not taking any notes is as effective as taking notes for other people.

If anyone is interested, I posed to this question to my professor, whether or not it was a bad idea to type up solutions to problems, rather than writing everything out by hand, and my professor said that, as long as you are thinking about the problem, it does my matter by which method you solve the problem.

1. What is Latex and how is it different from hand writing?

Latex is a typesetting language used for creating documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, computer science, and engineering. It is different from hand writing because it uses a markup language to format text, rather than physically writing or drawing on paper.

2. Which method is better for writing scientific papers, Latex or hand writing?

This ultimately depends on personal preference and the specific requirements of the paper or journal. Latex offers more precise formatting and is often preferred for complex equations and figures, while hand writing can be quicker and more intuitive for some individuals.

3. Is Latex more difficult to learn than hand writing?

Learning Latex requires some time and effort, but it is not necessarily more difficult than hand writing. It may feel more challenging at first because it is a markup language, but there are many resources available to help beginners learn and become proficient in Latex.

4. Can Latex and hand writing be used together in the same document?

Yes, it is possible to use both Latex and hand writing in the same document. For example, you can write the main text of your paper in Latex and then hand write any additional notes or equations on printed copies of the document.

5. Are there any advantages to using Latex over hand writing for writing scientific papers?

One advantage of using Latex for scientific papers is that it allows for easier collaboration and version control, as the document can be easily shared and edited by multiple authors. Additionally, Latex offers more advanced features for formatting and organizing complex equations and figures.