Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Latex Viewer?

1. Nov 10, 2004 #1
    Does anyone know of any free latex viewer software that can be download.

I was actually thinking about writing something in VB just for my own personal use. But if it's already been done why reinvent the wheel?

Also who owns Latex? I mean, if I wrote a Latex viewer program in VB could I sell it? Or would it be under some kind of legal restriction because it specifically recognizes Latex code?

Anybody know?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2004 #2
    I usually use YAP (Yet Another Previewer) that comes with the MikTex distribution.
  4. Nov 10, 2004 #3

Gold Member

What do you mean by a LaTeX 'viewer?' From the gist of the thread I feel that you are referring to a LaTeX IDE to write LaTeX documents, this wouldn't be too hard to accomplish (hell you can write LaTeX source in Notepad). If you're referring to a viewer such as Yap that reads a rendered DVI or PS file, then that's going to be much more difficult to write. I suggest Yap as a viewer, and TeXniCenter for an IDE.

There is a propiertary LaTeX IDE called 'Winedit.' It is shareware, therefore, it would not be illegal to produce and sale one yourself. I'm rather sure LaTeX is GPL'd, meaning it has a very open license. Anyone, feel free to correct me here.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?